Saturday, February 20, 2021

#2511 Saturday with Sandy

While I was thinking about what to write tonight, I found myself with a lot of questions about the day. 

  • How did Harley's toenail crack like that? On Thursday night/Friday morning after I picked T up from work I noticed that Harley was licking her foot a lot. I lit up my phone torch to take a look at what she was focused on and I saw that one of her toenails was cracked. Part of it is sticking up slightly from the rest of the nail. There was a little blood. I called the vet on Friday morning, but they are unable to see us until Wednesday. This morning I called to see if there were cancellations (there weren't). I called another vet and they were booked today. I called the emergency vet and was told they wouldn't see us because a cracked toenail is considered a "class 3" injury and they don't take that category on weekends. The woman I spoke to assured me that Harley will be okay and told me I could put a sock on Harley's foot and make sure it didn't look infected. I've been keeping an eye on her all day. She really only licks on it once she settles down and starts to relax. She plays and goes for walks like normal. I can tell she's in a little pain, though. She has sad dog eyes. I bought her a soft cone collar and some doggy aspirin. We'll see how all that goes over in about half an hour when I'm done writing and get ready for bed.
  • Why did I have such a visceral need to hug Gina today? When I went to weigh in at the WW studio this morning, my beautiful coach Lana was there to do the weigh ins as usual and my virtual, and former real life coach Gina, was there too! Technically Gina is Lana's boss and I guess Gina was just there to check in with Lana and members like me. I was so delighted to see Gina in person! It's been a few years and I completely adore her. I actually screamed her name (I have no chill) and had to stop myself from giving her a hug. I'm not a hugger. At. All. So why did I feel that way? And I kinda felt teary, too. This pandemic, man. That's what  it has to be. Right?
  • How have I not done this sooner? There is a Starbucks in the grocery store I use most often. Today I bought myself a mocha Frappuccino, popped in an airpod to listen to some upbeat tunes, and had an excellent time doing my shopping. I feel like I have been depriving myself by not figuring out this simple combination of joy to get through the shopping chore. I'll be sipping and listening to music on future shopping excursions for sure.
  • When did this backache happen? At some point today I realized that I have a tremendous pain in my lower back on the right side and toward the middle. At different times during the day, the pain was so intense that it took my breath away and made my eyes water. Maybe I slept awkwardly. Sometimes my body is contorted around the dogs. I haven't done anything in which I felt my back twitch or tweak, but hot damn it was hurting today. Ibuprofen for me tonight, and maybe my heating pad as well.
  • Will I regret not going for a walk at Red Butte Garden today? In my original plan for today, I was going to take T to work then drive up to RBG for a stroll. I decided to put off the garden walk until next Saturday because a) it was supposed to snow today and I didn't fancy a walk in the snow, and b) I wanted to bake a cake and needed ingredients, hence the trip to the grocery store. Now it looks like there might be snow in the forecast for next Saturday. That's seven days away, though, and it's Utah and weather changes a lot. By the way, it did NOT snow today.
  • What is the purpose of putting books on hold or buying books? I currently have 55 books in my queue on the Overdrive library site, of which 23 are available. When I was looking for a new book to read, did I go to the queue to see what I could borrow? No, I did not. I looked at the library's list of most popular books that was available and picked out one that I want to read. I also have at least eight ebooks that I have purchased or received that are waiting to be read. Why didn't I choose one of those books? 
Well, there's a little insight into my mind today. I felt like I was just spinning through the day without a lot of intention or purpose. I did bake a cake. I cooked some chicken and rice - a very poor imitation of paella, but it tasted okay. I took a little nap to ease my backache and to relax. I wanted to watch a movie tonight, but ended up doing something for T, so MT and I pushed back movie night until tomorrow. It's probably a good thing. I wanted to write and MT was already snoozing on the couch when I got home from taking T to his friend's house. Now I'm tired and my back hurts and I just want to sleep, so that's what I will do. 

I hope you are enjoying your weekend. Stay safe!



 

1 comment:

Kteach said...

I hope your back gets better. Take care of it and go to the doctor if it persists!
Love you.