Sunday, June 25, 2023

#2853 the importance of the 'fit check

There is something about the idea of Paris that makes you want to dress a little nicer. All three of us, Mom, Lizzie, and, me, experienced the pre-Paris wardrobe anxiety. Eventually, we all came to the same conclusion: that we would only be in Paris for a couple of days, and our clothes would be okay. We decided the focus on looking good really needed to be in Barcelona, and especially when we were with our family. Still, I know that all three of us took a little extra care with our clothing during the whole trip. 

We began to implement what became known as the "'fit check" - short for outfit check. We'd get dressed and take an extra minute to look in the mirror to make sure we were showing the world what we wanted them to see. This is probably standard and common practice for most women, but I'm gonna tell you that there have been times when I have looked in the mirror, not been really thrilled with my outfit, and muttered, "This is as good as it gets." Now, though, I think I can do better, and I try.

The day we were going to take the hop-on hop-off bus in Paris, I wanted to be comfortable and prepared for the weather. While we were in the city, it was mostly rainy, but the forecast for that one day, the TOOT bus day (that's what the hop-on hop-off bus is called there!) was cloudy and dry. 

We planned to sit on the upper deck of the bus, if it was available, so I wanted to wear a hat to protect my delicate scalp. I also wanted to wear a scarf, because what if it was chilly? I had on a floral blouse, a black skirt, black shoes, and a light blue cardigan.

'Fit check time!


Umm...okay, this is NOT the look I want to put out in the world. I look like my great-aunt Tessie. That's a Harry Potter reference; I don't have a great aunt Tessie. The point is that I felt like it was all a little too much. However, that sweater is now known as the Aunt Tessie sweater, or, alternately, the Nanny Biscuits sweater, which is another story for another day.

Something had to go. Bye-bye hat and scarf.


Better, but still not quite right. I felt kind of matronly. I finally settled on a denim jacket.


As you can see from my expression, I'm feeling very sassy now and ready to see Paris. 


I learned an important lesson that day. Always check your 'fit. You'll feel it when it's right.

All these fun photos were taken by Lizzie, whose 'fit was on point that day. 

1 comment:

Kteach said...

You and Lizzie always looked cute.
I had some outfits I liked, but then I realized that tennis shoes were the only shoes I should be wearing if I wanted to walk some distance, and it basically messed up my outfits. Looking at some of the "looks" I wore in Paris and Barcelona, makes me shudder.
But now back at home, I'm being more choosy about what to wear, maybe next trip I'll be more ready.