Sunday, November 3, 2013

#1037 Sunday fooding

I went to Costco yesterday and bought some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and some ground beef. Last night I looked through one of my favorite cookbooks, "Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer." I found a couple of recipes for the chicken, a recipe for some of the meat and today I prepped food.

From the chicken I made a couple of meals worth of chicken cacciatore: lots of onion, garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomato and plenty of seasoning. When the time comes, I'll add freshly sliced mushrooms (because I forgot to get some today at the store, so I'll add them later), cook it in the crock pot and serve it with noodles.

I also made some orange teriyaki chicken with some frozen orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, some ginger, some onion and some garlic. I'll cook that up in my grill pan and serve it with rice. Yum!

From the meat, I made a couple dozen meatballs. I didn't cook them; I flash froze them and when they were solid, I put them in a freezer bag. I also made six hamburger patties and then I browned the rest of the meat and stored it in a couple of quart size freezer bags. I can use the ground beef to make tacos or sloppy joes or something I can't even think of right now.

To finish it up, I am now baking a couple of loaves of banana bread. I don't freeze that; we just eat it. I'll wrap one of the loaves up and put it in the fridge, but I bet they are both gone by next Saturday. We love banana bread!

To do all that food prep took me about three hours or so. I didn't have to cook anything except the ground beef that I browned, and I sat down a bunch of times to relax, but I admit that I'm pretty tired. It's worth it, though! I have so much ready-to-go food in my freezer :)

That's all I've got for tonight. I hope you all had a good weekend and you are rested and ready to face the first week of November. By the way, did you know there are just 52 days until Christmas?

No comments: