Thursday, December 26, 2013

#1076 the day after Christmas

There were 23 people over here for the Christmas meal yesterday afternoon. I can handle groups of 10 or 12, but over that, I get a little overwhelmed. I retreated to the basement for a little while. T was there, too. He and I are the same in that regard. MT loves to be around lots of people. It's just too much for me. Maybe it's because I come from a much smaller family. I even remember as a kid being uncomfortable when we were in large groups of people, like when we were with my mom's family. I just do a lot better in a smaller group.

Anyway, Christmas was very nice. I'm glad it's over.

Today has been nice. T spent the night at his cousin's house, so we went over to pick him up this morning and had a quick visit with MT's brother Kelly and his wife. Of course we saw them yesterday, too, but it was nice to spend some more quiet time with them.

This afternoon, MT and I met our friends Rob and LA for lunch. We went to a Greek restaurant downtown. It was fun to go somewhere different. We used to eat at this restaurant many times when we lived here, but we hadn't been there in a long time. MT and I both enjoyed visiting with our old friends. We really miss them a lot. We don't have much of a social life in SLC. It's something that we would like to change, but we haven't done much to make it happen. Maybe next year we will figure out a way to be a little more socially active.

After lunch, T and I went to see the movie The Wolf of Wall Street. T really likes Leonardo DiCaprio and he was eagerly anticipating this movie. I like movies; I like Leo, so what the heck? We went.

Oh. My. Gosh. There were plenty of times during the three hours of this film that I felt a little embarrassed that I was sitting there with my 15 year old son. There was quite a lot of nudity, sex and drug use. I'm no prude, but it still feels weird to be watching totally nude chicks parade around on screen when you're sitting next to your teenager. And all the snorting of the coke! Oh my god. The first thing I said when we got into the car was, "I hope that movie made it clear that drug use isn't a good thing. It makes you pretty stupid." T nodded. OY.

When I get past all those personal feelings and think about the movie, I would say that Leo was pretty great. The scene at the country club in particular was dang good physical acting. Will this be the role that finally earns the man an Oscar?

Tonight I have been reading, T is petting Osi and MT is playing a card game with his parents. So peaceful!  We'll be heading home in the morning. I don't have to go back to work until a week from today, so I feel pretty happy about that. I have a lot more relaxing to do before I get back to work!

I hope you all had a very merry Christmas :)

I finished reading The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. Check out the 2013 Reading Page for info!

No comments: