Friday, July 17, 2015

#1481 foodie Friday - brownies and turkey

I wanted to tell you about two new recipes that I tried last week. One of them was very good and the other was meh. One was a turkey breast cooked in the crockpot, the other was salted caramel pretzel brownies. Can you guess which one was good and which one was meh?
Click here for recipe

click here for recipe

I found both recipes on Pinterest. I was really excited about the brownies. Think of it: brownies, covered with tiny salted pretzels, covered with a layer of caramel and sprinkled with coarse sea salt. YUM!

I was intrigued by the turkey breast. I like turkey, but neither of the guys is crazy about it. I bought a frozen boneless turkey breast that I put in the crockpot. To it I added about half a cup of orange juice, a can of cranberries and a packet of dry onion soup mix. I turned the crockpot on high and let it go to work for about five hours or so.

Have you guessed which one we liked better?

The turkey was fantastic! It was moist, tender and flavorful. As I mentioned, MT doesn't really like turkey and I'll tell you that he ate most of it. I was hoping to have some left to make croquetas this weekend, but there was nothing left. MT ate the turkey in salads, in sandwiches and just by itself. I only had a couple of sandwiches with it. I will definitely make this recipe again.



The brownies, on the other hand, were not a raging success. I don't know if T had any at all. I didn't have much of it. MT ate it, but I think that was more a function of that fact that they were there, they were sweet and he eats just about anything, even though he made a point to say that he didn't care for them that much every time he had some. In theory, there is nothing wrong with the concept. The sweet chewy brownie, the salty crunch of the pretzel, the gooey sweetness of the caramel, the saltiness of the, um, salt (heehee) all seems like it would work perfectly. But the pretzels lost a bit of their crunch in the baking. The caramel just soaked into the brownie and made the pretzels even less crunchy and the whole thing was just a little too salty. It just didn't do it for me. I was disappointed. I've thought of ways I could change the recipe up a little, but I really don't think I'll bother with it. If I have the urge for a caramel brownie in the future, I have a nice recipe that I would use. It's not that I have a problem with the pretzel brownie recipe, it just wasn't right for my family. I'm sure other people would like it a lot. My brownie eating boys are more brownie purists, I guess.

I think it's good fun to try out new recipes. I like to go through Pinterest and pick something new to try every week or so. My weeknights are pretty busy, so I usually experiment over the weekend. I haven't picked anything yet to make this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: