Friday, February 26, 2016

#1610 what happened this week

It's been a long week that had unusual things happen most of the days.

On Monday, there was a big management shake-up at work. It was surprising and a downer. The office was very quiet that day. I left work a little early to get over to T's school for help completing the federal financial aid forms (FAFSA). We didn't actually finish the forms because MT called to say that our taxes were done and since we need the taxes to complete the forms, I left the school to go to the accountant's office.

On Tuesday I had the MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) refresher training for work. The training took place in Layton, which is about 40 minutes from my house. I left here around 6AM - the training started at 7AM and I wanted to stop at Starbucks (totally worth it!). The day was full of classes, most of which didn't directly apply to me since I work at the office and not at the mine. I still managed to learn some interesting things. I have to have MSHA certification in case I ever go out to one of the mines. I got home after 6PM and started making tacos for dinner. MT showed up a few minutes later with my nephew Chris and his wife Dedra. They were on their way to Africa, so they had dinner with us and MT drove them to the airport.

On Wednesday I was back in the office. It's the time of year when we start chomping at the bit to actually do some work. Winter is our slow season and I think everyone has pretty much filed every bit of paper from last year and cleaned up their work areas in preparation for this construction season. When I got home from work, I cooked dinner and watched TV. It was nice to sit and veg out a little.

On Thursday at work the little middle management team that I am on cooked lunch for our team plus about 20 extra folks who were attending a webinar over the lunch hour. We made carne asada tacos with all the fixings: guacamole, rice and beans, chips and salsa and all the toppings you could want. It was awesome. The weather was very nice so we were able to cook the carne asada steaks on the big grill outside. It's a bit of work, but it's fun and the people seem to really enjoy it! At home that night, T and I completed the FAFSA and sent it off to the Department of Education. Here's hoping that T gets a good financial aid package!

Today, Friday, was just kind of a long day. Have you noticed that when you are not very busy at work, the time just drags by? I have a project that I am working on and it is tedious and monotonous. I find myself getting up pretty frequently to get a glass of water or walk around. Speaking of walking, in our safety meeting this month, we were challenged to walk 20 consecutive minutes every day. There's a track out in the field behind the office that is beautifully paved and a quarter mile long. I've been walking every day (except on Tuesday when I was in MSHA class) with some friends. I set the timer for 20 minutes and we walk around and around until the timer goes off. The weather was lovely this week and I enjoyed getting outside for some fresh air and sunshine.

Tonight it is super quiet at my house. MT is reading downstairs. T is asleep - I wonder if he'll wake up at midnight and struggle to get up for work in the morning? I have been reading, too and now I'm thinking of going to bed, even though it's not even 8:30 yet. I'm so tired on Friday night!

It's a pretty simple, quiet life. I kind of like it that way :)

No comments: