Friday, March 18, 2016

#1629 foodie Friday: Rolo cookies

Last week I talked about craving homemade pretzels and buffalo chicken dip. I bought the ingredients for both things, but I didn't make either of them. At least now I have everything on hand if the inspiration hits me this weekend.

My friends Kelsie and Nicole are from Butte, MT. Many of the miners that came to live and work in Butte were Irish. (Check this out. And this.) What I'm saying is that there is a huge Irish tradition in Butte that is passed on to its sons and daughters. Kelsie and Nicole have children of their own and they were talking about what the leprechaun was going to do at their houses for the kids. I did not grow up with a leprechaun tradition. To me St. Patrick's Day means wearing green so you don't get pinched. In Butte there is a ginormous party on St. Paddy's Day and leprechauns come to your house and pee green in the toilet and do little pranks and leave candies like gold coins or, the absence of gold coins, maybe Rolos - little chocolate covered caramels covered in gold foil.

I heard Rolos and thought of another friend of mine who made cookies stuffed with Rolos and it was over for me. I had to have those cookies! I went to Pinterest and found that long ago I had pinned a recipe for Rolo cookies that only had four ingredients: devil's food cake mix, eggs, oil and Rolos. I thought it would be fun to make the cookies on Wednesday night and take them in to work on Thursday. 

The cookies are exceptionally easy and quick to make. Mix the box of cake mix with 1/3 cup of oil and two eggs. The dough is thick and sticky. Take a small amount of dough and shape it around a Rolo candy. Bake at 350 degrees for seven or eight minutes. I sprinkled a little coarse sea salt on some of the cookies. I've also seen powdered sugar sprinkled on them, but I didn't do that. I really like the slightly salty contrast to the sweetness.

I think the cookies taste best when they have cooled and caramel has firmed up a little, but they are pretty good warm, too. Watch out for a hot caramel burn on your tongue if you are impatient. :p

MT and T thought the cookies were very good. My nephew and niece who were here that night liked them a lot too. Needless to say, the cookies didn't make it to work because there weren't any left to bring. I'll try it again another time, and maybe double the recipe to have enough for us and for work.

I really love cookies.









1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I love cookies as well!