Thursday, September 19, 2013

#1016 Throwback Thursday


I was listening to my iPod on shuffle tonight and Sting came on. The song was "Bring on the Night/When the World is Running Down" from his Bring on the Night two CD set. I was totally jamming out and it got me thinking about how long I have loved the band The Police and by association, Sting.

I first heard a Police song in Spain, it had to be around 1980 or so. The song was "Message in a Bottle" and I was instantly hooked. I loved the beat, I loved the vocal, I loved the sound. That particular song is on their second album and I remember looking for the single or the album in the record store there in Playa de Aro. I did get several LPs - yes, vinyl! - there and brought them back to the States. I bet my mom still has the albums unless Lizzie has taken them.





While I was listening to Sting tonight, I thought about all the t-shirts I have had of The Police or Sting. I think the t-shirt in this pic might have been the first Police t-shirt I had.  This picture was taken in July 1983, so I was 17 years old; it was the summer before my senior year in high school. That's my sister Lizzie over there in the chair. We are sitting out on the front patio at the apartment in Playa de Aro. It looks like I'm writing a story or an entry in my journal and we must be listening to music as well.

And yes, I am rocking a mullet. It was the '80s, friends.



1 comment:

Kteach said...

I don't know if it was that year, but I remember some tshirts and towels got stolen while they were drying outside in the balcony, we were all very upset!