Thursday, March 6, 2014

#1126 TBT - ATV ride in Mazatlan


In February 2009, the three of us went on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera - that's the Pacific side of Mexico. Our second stop was Mazatlan. For our excursion, we went to a small island that was very close to the cruise ship terminal - we took a quick little bus trip over a bridge to the island. It was called Stone Island.

There was an enormous empty beach, wide and long. The waves were small so we went down to the water, but it was the Pacific in February and even that far south, the water was a little colder than we like it. Plus, it is the Pacific and it's pretty strong and the drop off from the beach was big. In the Caribbean, it seems like you can walk out a long way before you are in deep water at a lot of the places we have been. At this island, it was deep in a hurry.

We were sitting near a little restaurant and some guys came along saying they had ATVs to rent. The price was good, so we rented one for an hour or two. Safety wasn't really a concern apparently; there was no helmets or long pants or shoes.

I was a little nervous. I'd never been on an ATV before. I remember being pretty timid at first, but I got over that. It was so amazing to be riding down this big beach, wind in my hair, sun shining down, the ocean on one side, palm trees on the other.

When I got comfortable on the ATV, I gave T a ride.  That was really cool. I don't know if he remembers it, but I do and I really had fun.

Ah! Vacation memories!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

It looks like he was enjoying it too :)