Sunday, March 30, 2014

#1150 Muscle Shoals


Tonight, after we watched our favorite Sunday night TV shows (Once Upon a Time for me, Walking Dead for MT), we decided to watch a movie.

Several months ago, my sister posted a movie trailer on Facebook, and I have been waiting to see that movie since then. It was called Muscle Shoals, and it's a documentary about a recording studio (or two) in small town in Alabama where some truly iconic music has been recorded.

One of my most favorite songs is Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I love pretty much everything about the song: the instantly recognizable guitar riff at the beginning of the song, the background vocals, the chorus, the guitar solos, everything. There is a line in the last verse of the song that goes "Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers/They've been known to pick a song or two". I had no idea what that line meant until I watched this documentary.

For most of the film, MT and I were saying "Holy crap" as the people in the film talked about song after classic song that was recorded in Muscle Shoals. It's just remarkable.

If you love music, take a couple of hours (actually 102 minutes) and watch this movie. MT said he was a better person for having watched it. I don't know about that, but I did agree with him that we should have watched this film last night instead of going out. :)

Here's the trailer to whet your appetite:


Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: