Thursday, January 22, 2015

#1355 no exercise, but I did make a cheesy pasta dinner

I feel better today. My nose isn't running and though I still have a bit of a dry cough, I think I'll be ok. I did get to sleep by 9:00 last night and slept hard through the night. It was good.

I'm sad to say that I did not get my exercise time in today. I was at work until 6:00 which got me home at 6:30, just in time to start dinner. As it was, I started cooking a little late, but we were still eating by 7:15, so it wasn't bad. What did I make? I call it "spicy sausage pasta" but that implies that the sausage is spicy, but it's not. Spicy is the overall flavor of the dish and it is caused by using Ro-tel tomatoes in the sauce.  Here are the ingredients:

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 smoked sausage (I used a beef sausage from Hillshire Farms)
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes with green chilis
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream (half & half works well, too)
about 1/2 a box of some pasta (I used rotini, but penne is nice. It's up to you)
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Heat a skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon or so of oil, the onions and the sausage. Saute for about 4 minutes until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until you can smell the garlic. Add the tomatoes, the broth, the cream and the pasta. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover the pot and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. At that time, remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Easy and yummy!

You may be wondering why I didn't leave work until 6:00 tonight when I just told you the other day that I'd only been working eight hour days. The answer is that I was chatting with one of my friends about some stuff we are both interested in and the time got away from me. He gave me a lot to think about, so I want to think on it a little, and I'll probably tell you about it in a couple of days (unless something else comes along and I forget!)

So happy that tomorrow is Friday. This week skipped right along but I'm always thankful for the weekend.

No comments: