Tuesday, May 26, 2015

#1449 Hawaii on my mind - getting to the Captain Cook Monument

We are getting closer and closer to our family vacation in  Hawaii! We'll be spending several days on The Big Island, and MT is all about snorkeling as many days as he can. One of the places he really wants to go is Kealakeua Bay and the Captain Cook Monument. The bay is supposed to have some of the best snorkeling on the island.






There are a few ways to get to the Captain Cook Monument (that's the white monument you see on the land over to the left) and none of them involve a car. One way to get there is to swim. I read in the guide book that it takes about an hour in the ocean and it's tough. Clearly, I would not be doing that. Neither would the other people in our group.

Another way is to kayak. There are some rules and regulations about kayaking; I don't know that it is an option for us either.

A third way is taking a snorkeling tour with a group in a boat like the one shown in the photo. I love to sail on catamarans. It's kind of pricey, but there's food and drink and the operators go to other snorkel sites, too.

A fourth way is to hike. There is a trail that's about four miles round trip with an elevation change of 1300 feet. The hike is described as moderate to strenuous with some loose rocks along the way, very little shade and some steep stretches. But look at this view:




OH! And did I mention that I myself would not be snorkeling? I do not like to be in the water with the fishes. If I were to go with MT and the others, I would be doing it for views like this and just to hang out with people and to say that I did it.

I've been slightly obsessed about it all day. I have watched several videos on YouTube of the hike. I think I could do it but it would be difficult and I would probably be pretty slow. I thought I had MT talked into the sailboat thing, but his brother said they wouldn't mind the hike, and I know that MT wouldn't mind the hike either.

I don't know what will happen yet, but I know going to the bay is for sure going to happen. I just don't know how and I don't know if I will be along for the adventure. Mostly on vacation I like to lounge and read and play in the pool and hang out at the beach. But I like to explore, too.

Good thing I don't have to decide right now. It will probably be something that happens in the moment. Until then, I'm just thinking about it all.

~~~
I finished this book! Please check out the 2015 Reading List page.

No comments: