Wednesday, February 10, 2016

#1601 this year for Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I am not a religious person, but over the years I have sometimes practiced giving something up during Lent. Last year I gave up sweets. It was tough, but I did it. In other years I have given up soda. I wasn't thinking of giving up anything this year, but I've been thinking about it and maybe I will do something, but it doesn't involve food. It's more of a positive challenge, I think.


GOOGLE ALERT: Of course I had to Google why we give things up for Lent. I found this website that offered a reasonable explanation. In the last paragraph, the author writes about giving up a bad habit for Lent, and that's kind of what I was thinking about.

I feel that I am lazy. I want to lose weight and have better physical fitness, but it's easy to find an excuse to not go to the gym and even go for a walk. What I was thinking of doing for Lent is adding activity to my life every day. I want to break a sweat by doing some physical activity daily.

The irony is that I will be starting this challenge tomorrow because (here comes the excuse!) tonight I went to parent-teacher conference with my son. It's the last one, since he will graduate this year and there are no parent-teacher conferences in college. There were some people at my work who thought it was strange that I still attended parent-teacher conferences. I don't think I've ever missed one. T's education and progress is very important to me, and I feel obliged and lucky to talk to him and his teachers about his grades and his future. I don't tire of hearing his teachers tell me that he is a great kid with a bright future or that he is intelligent and funny and they like having him around.

So now that the parent-teacher conference is done and I have had some time to lay on the couch and watch TV and ponder my Lenten choice, I'm gonna do it! Starting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :)

No comments: