Saturday, February 20, 2016

#1607 something unexpected

When I got home from work yesterday afternoon, I picked up my mail. I don't pick it up every day, so there were quite a few things in there. The most interesting by far was a letter from the Department of Transportation. It seems UDOT is planning to widen the road by our house. We live on the corner of a very busy street that is about to become bigger busy street. UDOT wants to buy some or all of our property. My vote is that they buy it all, and I expect that's what the offer will be.

In the back of my mind, I thought that someday the road might be widened, but I haven't thought of it in a long time. I have mixed feelings about it. For one thing, this is T's childhood home and though I'm not huge on sentimental things like that, it is sometimes fun to drive around and say, "I used to live there" and "I think the house looked better when I lived there."

For another thing, even though MT and I have discussed moving from this house, we aren't really in a position to do it right now. I don't know what the timing of the UDOT offer will be, but I imagine they want to move along with the purchasing of properties along the street so they can go ahead with their plans.

At least we won't have to do some upgrades to the house that we had thought about if we were going to sell it. Why bother? The house will most likely be torn down anyway.

You will definitely be hearing more about this saga in the days and months to follow.

No comments: