Wednesday, April 26, 2017

#1858 WW Wednesday - what was it about?

There is a reason why I like to think about last Saturday's Weight Watcher meeting on Wednesday. I'm halfway through the week and thinking back on the meeting topic, thinking about what I heard, reading over notes I wrote down, reflecting on my weight loss or gain helps keep me in the game.

Then there are times like today that I can't for the life of me remember what we talked about in the meeting AT ALL. I remember that Bob was our leader last. He's a very nice man who is soft spoken yet passionate about WW. He's an older fella who taught me about the dog food diet to which he proudly subscribes. The dog food diet is where you eat the same thing for your meals every day, you know, like your dog does. Clearly you don't eat dog food, but there's not much variety with this plan. On the other hand, you know exactly what the points are in your food and you always stay within your range. Bob says he always has the same breakfast and lunch, then varies his evening meals. It works well for him.

The dog food diet was NOT our topic though.

What I mostly remember about last week's meeting was that I walked there. It's about two miles from my house to the center. I put my ear buds in, turned on the Hamilton Mix Tape, and strolled on over. It was a nice morning and I felt good. No pain when I got there, either. I sat down next to a woman I don't usually sit by. I asked her to watch my stuff while I went to blow my nose. When I sat back down, she said, "You could be a poster child for knee surgery. There is absolutely no hitch in your giddy up!" (Translation: no limping.) I smiled and told her that I was glad to hear her say that and my physical therapist would be glad too.

The other thing I remember about the meeting was getting a five pound star sticker. I love the stickers. I wish I got them more frequently, but that's up to me. There were several people that earned five pound stickers on Saturday and Bob asked each one of us what we were doing to drop those five pounds. I said, "You gotta keep on keepin' on. We've already paid the money, so we might as well get our money's worth and follow the plan." Lots of nodding of heads in agreement with my statement. Write down what you eat, watch your portions, get in a little physical activity, keep a positive outlook. Sometimes the scale is down, sometimes it's up, but it's always all about you and the effort you made, or didn't make.

Here is something that I remember Bob saying: the number on the scale does not define who you are. Your weight does not define whether you are a good, kind person. It doesn't determine how intelligent, witty and sassy you are. The only person who knows the number is you and whoever you choose to tell. There is more to a person than the number on the scale. Bob is all about giving pep talks that make you feel good about yourself. I like that about him.

I have to tell you that on Monday and Tuesday when I traveled and worked in Tucson, I didn't follow the plan. It's tough to do when you're traveling, but lots of people do it. I feel like I mostly kept myself in order today. Tomorrow is another day to take care of myself and make good choices.

I think I'll start taking care of myself by getting ready for bed!

No comments: