Tuesday, January 23, 2018

#1989 it's movie watching season


The Academy Award nominations were announced this morning, and suddenly, all I want to do is go to the movies. Several years ago I made a loose goal of seeing all the films nominated for Best Picture. I think I made that goal when there were only five nominees in the category. This year there are nine films, but they all seem pretty interesting. So far I have seen three: "Dunkirk" when it came out this summer; "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" about a month ago; and "Darkest Hour" tonight.

I regretfully do not know all that much about the early years of World War II. What I remember from school was that we mostly focused on the war effort after the U.S. got involved. I had heard of Dunkirk, but I didn't know the story. It was pretty grim. What I understood after tonight's movie what that it was Winston Churchill that made the order to get a civilian navy to rescue the troops in Dunkirk. Interesting.

Frances McDormand was amazing in "Three Billboards". Gary Oldman was unrecognizable and at times incomprehensible in "Darkest Hour".

Here are the remaining Best Picture nominees:
"Get Out"
"Phantom Thread"
"Call Me by Your Name"
"Lady Bird"
"The Post"
"The Shape of Water"

I'll probably see a movie on Saturday :)

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I've already seen three of the nominated best pictures, which for me, is pretty remarkable. I'd like to see at least a couple more.