Friday, September 7, 2018

#2088 RIP Mac Miller

rest in peace Mac Miller
This is the rapper Mac Miller. He died today of a drug overdose. Although I like rap music, I don't know Mac Miller's music. I know of him because T likes him and has seen him in concert a couple of times. I know that T considers Mac to be one of his rap idols.

Hearing about Miller's death today has shaken me in a way that I was not expecting. I have shed tears over it. I'm sad for T. I'm sad because Mac Miller was young and talented. I'm sad because drug addiction is so scary and brutal.


When I think of Mac Miller, I think back to an evening in late autumn 2016. Mac Miller was coming in concert to SLC. I don't remember if T had tickets to the show or not, but I know that he wanted to go. I think it was the day before the show and I was driving home, listening to the local hip hop radio station, U92. The radio host was talking about giving away tickets to a "meet and greet" with Mac Miller. I thought about how excited T would be to meet one of his favorite artists. T was at work, so I knew he'd have no chance to try to get the passes himself, so I made it my goal to get them for him.

I bombarded the station with calls and tweets. I explained that my son LOVED Mac Miller and he would be completely psyched to meet him. I told them that my son was at work, so he couldn't try to win the pass himself. I think the radio people were kind of amazed that a suburban mom would be listening to the hip hop station and trying to get passes for her son to meet Mac Miller. I think I kind of overwhelmed them because in the end, they gave me two passes for the meet and greet and if I remember right, a couple of tickets to the show.

T took his friend Trent to the meet and greet, and I think Trent went with him to the show also. I don't know how everything went down, but I do know that T got his picture taken with Mac and it is one of my favorite photos ever.


My apologies to Trent, who looked cute in the photo, but I'm focusing on T here. Look at his big, happy, cheesy grin. That's joy. It's true that Mac looks less-than-thrilled but he had probably been standing there for quite awhile. Still, I will always be grateful to Mac Miller for making T smile like that. I hadn't seen that smile for awhile leading up to this photo.

May you rest in peace Mac Miller. Thank you for the music.


1 comment:

Lizzie said...

thanks for this story, I hope T is okay