Thursday, September 5, 2019

#2247 three things: it wasn't meant to be, Gov't Mule, and Dorian


1. Gov't Mule. Last night I worked a concert at RBG. The artist was Gov't Mule. There are only two words to describe the music: jam band. It seems like many jam bands come to the Garden, probably because people are drinking and relaxing and chatting (or reading) and music is a good background for all of those activities. If you're interested (and even if you're not), last night's show was my fourteenth concert at the Garden this season and I have three to go. That will be 17 out of 31 shows.  Pretty good season for me!

2. It wasn't meant to be. The gym I go to released a new class schedule for the fall. I was excited to see that my favorite Zumba class was moving back to 7:00 on Thursday night - it had been at 6:00 for the summer and I couldn't make it, mostly because the book club was meeting at 6:00 on Thursday or I had a concert. The book club is on hiatus while Ekpe is participating in a tournament with his Chinese team and I didn't have a concert tonight, so I was going to go to Zumba. When I got home around 6:00, after running some errands, I was tired and thought I'd stay home and watch football, but then I gave myself a stern talking-to and got ready to go. When I got to the gym though, the 6:00 class was finishing up and it was Zumba. WTF?! I quickly scrolled through the gym's Facebook postings and saw that they had posted something in the past couple of days saying they would not be changing the times of the Thursday classes and that Zumba would remain at 6:00. Dang it! The 7:00 class is  Shakti yoga. I tried it before and didn't enjoy, so I just turned around and went home. I guess going to the gym tonight was just not meant to be. I couldn't even bring myself to walk around in circles on the track. I was glad to come home, to be honest. Maybe it will work out better next week since I'll be able to plan for the 6:00 class.

3. Hurricane Dorian. MT has a fascination with hurricanes. Whenever there is a hurricane that may make landfall in the U.S., the Weather Channel covers it and MT cannot get enough hurricane coverage. We both agree that the worst thing that can happen is when Jim Cantore shows up in your town. (If you watch the Weather Channel, then you know what I mean. Cantore always goes to the locations that are smack in the eye of the storm. His arrival means bad shit is coming your way.)

I feel particularly worried when a hurricane is heading toward a place I have been since I feel a kinship with that place. Dorian wreaked a bit of havoc on Charleston, SC and may graze the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Dorian ravaged the Bahamas, as I'm sure you heard. What's kind of crazy is that MT and I had been talking about going to the Bahamas in February. Guess we'll have to wait on that one.

No comments: