Wednesday, September 25, 2019

#2255 the serpentine pavilion

Did you miss me? Probably not, since I was hanging out with you :)

I spent the past couple of days visiting my mom and my sister at their house in southern California. I was happy to have my son with us too. It was a quick trip: T and I arrived on Saturday night and returned home on Tuesday in the evening. I do wish we could have stayed a bit longer, but that was all the time right now. I'm glad we went, though! We did fun things. We spent one day sight-seeing. The next day we relaxed at home. We even had a trip to a dispensary, lol.

Tonight I will write about one portion of our sight-seeing day. The four of us went up to Los Angeles to see the Second Home Serpentine Pavilion. It is a temporary art installation on the grounds of the La Brea Tar Pits. I don't know if I quite have the words to describe it. From the outside it looks big and like a kid's obstacle course. On the inside, it is all color and geometric shapes. It is not nearly as big as it looked from the outside. I kept wondering what the purpose was, and the answer I kept going back to is that it is art, interactive art. Like it, don't like it, it doesn't matter. That is what art is all about.

Here are some photos I took of the place:


 My first thought at seeing this was "What is that?" It sort of made me think of an alien's mouth or eye. I actually can't remember if I'm inside the structur or outside. I think outside?


Here's my cute mom standing in front of the alien eye. We are inside the structure.


It was very bright in there. T had to borrow Lizzie's sunglasses so he wouldn't be all squinty.



Then he was able to strike a pose and hit his angles. We were joking about the IG girls who were in there taking many, many photos of each other in different poses.


Lizzie was hitting her angles! She's adorable!



Here are Mom and Lizzie taking it all in and snapping a pic or two. When the light comes in just right, the colors are reflected on the floor. The light was kind of flat right here. It was an extremely hot day and the sky was kind of cloudy but really just flat. While we were in there, the sky did brighten up and we saw colors on the floor, but I didn't take a photo.


This photo shows the structure and some different colors. Kinda cool; kinda weird. Very different experience for us.

I'll be back on Friday with a story about my Emmy experience. (How's that for a tease?)


1 comment:

josefa wann said...

It was so fun having you and T here. I miss you already!!!