Friday, December 4, 2020

#2476 Hugh Grant



The other day I was listening to an interview with the British actor Hugh Grant on NPR's Fresh Air program. Terry Gross, the legendary host of the show, and Hugh mostly talked about his new role in the HBO mini-series The Undoing, (which I may be watching this weekend!) but they talked about some of his movies too. Terri only mentioned a few of his movies, and it got me thinking about Hugh Grant's movies that I really like that weren't mentioned. If I was going to have a Hugh Grant movie night, I would pick three movies from this group:

Bridget Jones's Diary with Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth. Hugh is naughty Daniel. That scene in the rowboat is my favorite. 

Music and Lyrics  with Drew Barrymore. I think I've only seen this one a couple of times, so I don't remember too much about it.

About a Boy  with Minnie Driver. The scene where he sings and closes his eyes - hilarious!

Sense and Sensibility with so many other great actors: Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman among others. Hugh is Edward Ferrars. The scene where toward the end where Emma Thompson completely loses her shit and his face while watching that happen is priceless.

Love, Actually  another movie with so many other great actors. All the stories touch each other and I love it all. Of course, Hugh's dancing scene rules.

4 Weddings and a Funeral it has been so long since I've seen this movie, but I have seen it so many times. Although it's not Hugh's first movie, it made him a star. It's lovely.

Notting Hill with Julia Roberts. This movie is one of my favorites! "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." Of course that's Julia's line, but still. Swoon.

Two Weeks Notice with Sandra Bullock. Hugh is a bit of clueless ass in this movie, but he's so charming about it. So good. 

Of course all the movies I would pick are romantic comedies. Hugh Grant OWNED romantic comedies in the late '90s, early '00s. All of these movies also have lovely leading ladies. As I'm looking through the list, I want to rewatch all of these movies! I'd probably start with Love, Actually. I watch it every December anyway since it takes place at Christmas time. 

That's it. I may have to watch all of these movies because I love them and I can. 

Do you like Hugh Grant movies? What is your favorite?

Happy weekend!





2 comments:

Kteach said...

I just saw 4 weddings and a funeral a shot while ago. I like Love, actually and its short sequel. And of course Bridget Jones.
Oh oh and Notting Hill :)

Lizzie said...

Music & Lyrics is adorable