Saturday, July 21, 2018

#2067 little kindnesses

I didn't have a chance to write on Thursday. MT and I went to see Jackson Browne in concert at Red Butte Garden, and we didn't get home until 11:30 or so. It was a good show. He's a great songwriter and such a distinctive voice. I don't know all of his songs, so I just enjoyed spending time with MT, watching people and listening to music.

Last night I volunteered at the Retro Futura show at RBG. I was working at the east side recycling cans, so I had a great view of the stage. I am a child of the '80s, so I knew almost all the songs and I had an absolutely great time singing along and dancing my face off. Fortunately, the lady I was working with last night, Macy, is also a child of the '80s and she sang and clapped and danced too. (The volunteers at the west side recycling did not appear to be having nearly the fun time we did!) Belinda Carlisle was my favorite - I did know all her songs! She did her own songs and Go-Gos songs. She looked and sounded great!

After the show I was pointing out where people should put their glass bottles, cans and garbage when a woman I didn't know walked up to my, arms open and a big ol' smile on her face. I'm sure I looked a little stunned (I'm not much of a hugger) but she went around and wrapped her arms around me and squeezed real tight and told me how she loved my energy and enthusiasm. "Every time I looked over here, you were dancing around and singing along," she said. "I love to see people having fun!" Then she went away for a few minutes, then came back to chat some more and parted with another strong hug. It made me kinda giggle. I truly was dancing like no one was watching, but I guess someone was. LOL It was a really fun show!

This afternoon I was back up at RBG for my regular Saturday afternoon gig. One of the ladies I help with weddings, Robin, came out of her office to chat with me and gave me a thank you card along with a little gift card to Jamba Juice. How nice is that?! It is truly my pleasure to volunteer there and I especially like hanging out at the gate during Saturday night weddings. Robin is lovely and we've had a chance to get to know each other a little over the past year. I really appreciated her kindness with the card.

After my shift was over, I decided to stop at Corner Bakery down the road from the garden. They have Fresca and hibiscus lemonade that I like to mix together for a refreshing beverage. I told the guy I wanted whatever size drink I could get for $2. He laughed and handed me the medium size cup and said, "This one is on me!"  How much are their sodas? Maybe I looked destitute. Maybe I looked a little crazy and really thirsty. LOL Anyway, it was super-nice of him. I'll be going back there to repay their kindness soon.

I don't know what I have done to deserve so much kindness, but I'll take it thankfully and pass it along as I can.

No comments: