Wednesday, October 10, 2018

#2103 boo to Drake; yay for A Star is Born

I'm feeling a little bitter and deprived tonight. If everything was right, T and I would be at Vivint Smart Home Arena dancing to the musical magic of Drake and Migos, but no. Four days before the show, Drake cancelled. Even worse, he was supposed to be here in August; Salt Lake City was going to be the first stop on his Scorpion tour. He decided to postpone our stop and start in a different city, so he rescheduled SLC for October 10, only to cancel on Saturday the 6th. Why? No official reason was given, but my guess is the venue wasn't sold out and his sweet little ego couldn't handle not having a venue on the tour sell out. He cancelled shows in Denver and St. Paul as well.

I was looking forward to the show. I really like Drake's music and I like Migos, too. I saw Drake a few years ago when he came to town with Lil Wayne. Their show was out at USANA Amphitheater and it was great. There is a hip hop fanbase here in SLC, but apparently it isn't large enough to sell out the Viv. Plus the tickets were over $100 apiece, so you really had to want to go. I bought the tickets through my work and we were going to be in the suite. I believe we were going to be the only people in the suite, so I know that no one else I work with was planning to go.

On Drake's latest album, Scorpion, he has a song called "I'm Upset". Pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing. I probably would have even bought some merch. Damn.

In other entertainment-related news, last night MT and I went to see A Star Is Born. Straight off the bat, I'm going to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper is smoking hot, even though he is a bit of a greasy drunk through most of the movie. It makes the scenes when he is clean and sober even more outstanding. The way he looks at Ally (Lady Gaga) made my heart melt. Watching Jackson and Ally fall in love and then fall apart was movie magic to me. I had every single feeling you can have watching this movie. I smiled and laughed; I cried with sadness and with astonishment (sometimes music can move me to tears); I was angry and happy...you get the picture.

Lady Gaga was terrific. Ally's transformation from would-be singer/songwriter to the latest pop star was fun and kinda sad at the same time. I could understand why Jackson was happy for her and disappointed in her at the same time.

I might have to buy the soundtrack. I liked Jackson's songs quite a bit - and that is really Bradley Cooper singing! And of course Lady Gaga is already a phenomenal singer. I just read an article that said they sang all the songs in the movie live. No lip syncing. That's cool.

Before I go, I have to give a disclaimer about Bradley Cooper. In most movies I think he is cute but his chin is way too pointy for me. I like a nice strong, square-ish chin on a man.


But in A Star Is Born with that hair and that beard, oof. I was smitten.


Plus everybody know that when a man straps on a guitar, his appeal skyrockets.


All I'm done fan-girling for the night.

Sweet dreams!

No comments: