Sunday, September 5, 2021

#2602 getting back in the habit

The last time I wrote here was Aug 14. I haven't written in my journal much, either. I'd made a vow to myself to write something every day, either here or in my journal or in my writing notebook. That vow was broken in August. There was a lot going on in the last 22 days, and writing definitely took a back seat on my priorities list. August was tiring for me emotionally and mentally in many ways. There were people coming and going and coming back. Work was tricky some days. There were a few days of quiet when I chose to flop down on the couch and watch TV, then go to bed by 9 pm. 

Two things became clear to me in past few weeks: It's very easy to break or lose a (good) habit, like writing every day, and it's very difficult to form a (good) habit. Bad habits seem to be pretty easy to form and pretty hard to lose, to be honest. 


Now, the page turns to a new month - okay, five days ago, I know! This morning, we are going to visit T, then MT will leave for Idaho. His original trip was cut short because the area where he was hiking was on fire and the Forest Service told MT and his brother to leave. Tomorrow he and Kevin will be headed back to Stanley to do a quick overnight hike to Cramer Lakes. He should be back Thursday or Friday. 

Tonight I have a concert at Red Butte Garden. The artist is Rodrigo y Gabriela. I have listened to a bit of their music, and I think I will enjoy the show. I love classical guitar. 

Later this week, T will graduate from inpatient recovery, and he plans to go to a sober living apartment for at least a month or two. I'm glad he made that decision. Right now he is safe and sober, and that makes me feel very happy. 

I have begun the Costa Rica Countdown (33 days!) I'm actually counting down to Oct 7, the first day of my vacation, the day I'll head to the LA area. Lizzie and I leave for Costa Rica on the 8th. Both Lizzie and I are doing some shopping to ensure we have the proper gear for the rainiest month of the rainy season. Truly, we didn't do a good job of figuring out a good time to go to the tropics. We had planned to go to Greece in October, and when that plan fell apart, we chose to go to Costa Rica and thought October would be a fine time to go. One thing we do know is that it will be very green and lush. We also have a high degree of certainty that we will get wet. It's all good, though. It's gonna be a freakin adventure!

All right, here's to getting back in the habit of writing every other day here. I'll be back on Tuesday Sept 7

See ya then!




No comments: