Sunday, September 30, 2012

#782 Once Upon a Time

We got NetFlix earlier this month. I didn't really want to (big surprise - I'm always the last person on board with just about everything) but I have found something on NetFlix that makes me happy: the TV show "Once Upon a Time". It's a show on the ABC network (Disney) and it's very creative and imaginative and pretty.

It's hard to describe the premise but I'll try. All the fairy tale characters that we know and love are trapped here in the present day in the town of Storybrook, Maine because of a curse by the evil queen. None of the storybook characters know who they really are, but there is one person who can break the curse and she has arrived in Storybrook. The thing is, she doesn't really believe in the curse and is basically just humoring her son that she gave up for adoption 10 years ago.However, she really dislikes the boy's adoptive mother (the evil queen) and she will do just about anything to one-up that witch. (heehee)

The story flips back and forth between Storybrook and the fairy tale world and it's just good. Robert Carlyle (remember him from "The Full Monty"?) is Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold and he's awesome. Ginnifer Goodwin is Snow White/Mary Margaret and I love her. I don't know who plays the evil queen, but she must be a terrific actress because I really, really hate her.

Anyway, NetFlix has the entire first season. I watched some episodes last year and I liked it, but it's on at the same time as "The Amazing Race" and you know how I love reality TV. My plan is to catch up on Season One of "Once Upon a Time" then watch this season On Demand.  Then I can still watch "The Amazing Race" at it's regular time.

Oh. My. God. I'm actually a little disturbed and despondent about my dedication to TV right now.

But "Once Upon a Time" is so engaging and likable! Who else but Disney could do a show like this? You should have seen Cinderella's wedding. So pretty!!

No comments: