Sunday, December 16, 2012

#828 holiday fun, movie night, and thinking about ugliness

It caught me by surprise that I haven't written in a week. I don't even really remember what kept me from it because I haven't been playing games on FB much either.

Not too much was going on anyway last week, until the last few days. On Thursday and Friday, we had big food festivals at work. On Friday afternoon, my in-laws came to town along with my mother-in-law's sister, Patty. Patty, Linda and I went to see the Ballet West performance of "The Nutcracker." It was wonderful, as always. I've seen it quite a few times, and it's great every time. There always seems to be something just a little different. This year, I enjoyed it when the Mouse King danced a little "Gangnam Style". Way funny! I've never taken ballet and I am completely in awe of the control the dancers have over their bodies. The women are so graceful and lean. The men, well, as Linda said, "Those tights don't leave much to the imagination." Bless 'em.

My absolute favorite is the Russian dance. I love the music (if you don't know it, think the "Beef. It's what's for dinner" music.) I love the dancers. I love the jumping. It's awesome and always brings the loudest cheers.


Last night, MT and I had the opportunity to have dinner at Ruth's Chris steakhouse with my peer work group. (I don't know a better way to describe the group. All of us report to the same guy.) I'm still full. It was such a great meal. I had a rib-eye steak and the way Ruth's Chris prepares the steak really accentuates the flavor of the meat and it was delicious. Ruth's Chris isn't a place that MT and I go to frequently. If we are lucky, we go once a year, so I don't feel any kind of remorse for having such a big, luxurious meal. It was worth every buttery calorie. :)



Tonight was family movie night. We went to see (what else?) The Hobbit. I really don't know why Peter Jackson thinks he needs to make such long movies. Honestly, if he had cut out about half an hour off the top of the film, it would have been just fine. I kept drifting off to sleepy-land. I did manage to stay awake when the dwarves got to the Orc cave and Bilbo was playing the riddle game with Gollum. Is it true that Jackson is going to stretch this one book into three movies? Is that necessary? The scenery was fantastic.

Finally, I want to take a minute to offer my condolences and express my sorrow over what happened in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday Dec. 14.  I can't think of it without tearing. It's a senseless, horrific tragedy. I immediately sent a text to T letting him know that I love him and when I saw him that afternoon, I made sure to give him an extra long hug. My thoughts are with the families who won't have their sweet little six or seven year old opening presents on Christmas morning, or who won't have their mom with them anymore.

I don't know what the answer is to stopping these kinds of horrible incidents. I don't know if gun control is the answer or if there should be more security everywhere. I kind of think that is someone really wants to get a gun, they are going to get a gun and do what they want. Should everyone have a gun to protect ourselves from nut-jobs who decide to go on a rampage? What if the principal had had a gun? Maybe she would have shot at the guy instead of being shot. I don't know. I don't know what the answer is. I don't think anyone does. I just know that there seems to be way too many stories of people walking into a place and shooting people.

Anyway, give your kids an extra hug tonight. Tell someone that you love them. Peace.




1 comment:

Kteach said...

That was a horrific, senseless tragedy. My heart goes to all the families that have suffered losses.