Tuesday, December 10, 2013

#1069 Record of the Year


Let's talk Grammy, shall we? And I'm not talking about women of a certain age who prefer to be called Grammy. I'm sure we'll get to her later in the week, though. ;)

The 2014 Grammy nominations came out recently and I was surprised by some of them. I've thought in the past that some of the nominees were kind of obscure, but this year the nominees seem to be a little more mainstream - I've heard of all of the nominees in the major categories.

Record of the Year is an award that goes to the artist.
Get Lucky - Daft Punk. I loved this song pretty much from the minute I heard it. I love Pharrell. I don't know much about Daft Punk at all. I only found out they were dudes dressed up like robots when I saw the video for the song. (Video wasn't my favorite.)  This song was a regular on my bike ride playlist. So catchy!

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons. This band is very good with a hook and this song has a good hook. The video is weird, but these are the Grammy awards, not the VMAs :) It seems like this song was always on the radio this summer. Good song.

Royals - Lorde. I first heard this song when I saw the video on VH-1 Top 20 Video Countdown. It was not on the countdown, but it was an up and coming song or something. I like the sound and the words and all of it. One of my friends at work put it best when he said that he didn't want to like the song because all the hipsters were going to like it but you just can't help yourself.

Locked Out of Heaven - Bruno Mars. You know I love me some Bruno Mars!! This song makes me want to wriggle around and sing loudly, which I have done on many occasions, come to think of it. I'm excited for Bruno's nomination!

Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell. This is another song I loved from the moment I saw it. Do you know there are two versions of the video for this song? In one of the videos, the girls are topless. It freaked me out and I didn't watch the whole thing. I like everything about this song, even after the Miley Cyrus craziness at the VMA show.

I hope Bruno wins!

I want to talk about Album of the Year and Song of the Year and a few of the other categories, but I think that will have to wait for another day. It's getting close to my bedtime and I need my rest.

I just added a new book to my 2013 Reading List page. Check it out!




No comments: