Sunday, March 16, 2014

#1136 walk-a-weigh

This year I became one of those Utah people who wear shorts at the very first sign of warmth and springtime. It is really not all that warm - today the temperature was in the low 60s, yesterday it was in the upper 50s - but I had on shorts and a t-shirt with a jacket and I was happy. I didn't wear my flip flops, so I didn't go completely crazy. I bet if I had a pedicure, I might have had on my flip flops, though.

MT laughed at me. I didn't care.

I had quite a few things on my to-do list today and I wanted to get everything done by 7PM so I could watch my favorite Sunday night show Once Upon a Time. Everything is done and I watched the show and I feel pretty good about the weekend.

Let me tell you about yesterday's Weight Watchers meeting. WW is doing a program called Live Life Active. It's just starting this month, and it's purpose is to get people moving and active. Our leader, Marla, is all excited about it and she decided that within our meeting group, we would divide up into smaller groups based on a physical activity that we enjoy doing. In my meeting group, there were three sub-groups: people who wanted to get physical by working in their gardens, people who like to go to the gym, and people who like to walk. We split into the groups, exchanged names, named a captain and came up with a name for our group.

I joined the walking group. Walking is something that I have been wanting to do. You don't really need anything special to do it, you just have to do it. I haven't really found the motivation yet, so I was hoping this group would be the push I need.

The walking group was by far the biggest group - there are 12 of us. Because I'm kind of bossy, I organized the way everyone would have everyone else's name and email. That worked out pretty well. It took some time because there was so many of us. The other two groups just had three to five people in them. I also came up with the name for our group. One lady suggested "Walk the Weight Away" but I suggested we shorten it to "Walk-a-Weigh". I thought it was clever. Everyone liked it, so that's the name. I'm not the captain (thankfully). A lady named Kris is our group captain. I know Kris a little from the gym and she's pretty nice and dedicated to exercise.

Today I did go for a short walk. It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I walked a couple blocks up the road to see if the Girl Scouts were still selling cookies in the hardware store parking lot. They weren't, so I didn't get any cookies. Isn't it a little humorously ironic that I went for a walk to get cookies? {{SIGH}}

The WW meeting site is about two miles from my house. My goal is to walk there and back by sometime in the summer. I'll figure out my goal date. I think I could walk there now, but I don't think I would enjoy walking back just yet. I'm pretty out of shape. It's good to have a goal. When it gets a little warmer, I can ride my bike there with no problem. That will be ok.

Hope you all had a good weekend! This is a big week in our family - well, one day at least. T's birthday is Wednesday :) His birth day was the best day of my life and I can't wait to celebrate it!

No comments: