Monday, March 17, 2014

#1137 about corned beef


I hope you all had a festive and fun St. Patrick's Day! Neither my family nor MT's family is Irish, so we don't do much to celebrate except to wear a green shirt :)

One of the engineers at the office cooked delicious corned beef and cabbage along with potatoes and carrots. It was a feast. He is from Butte, MT and I think there are a lot of people of Irish descent there because of the mine. Butte also had a HUGE St. Patrick's Day celebration. When I lived in Pocatello, I worked with a girl who always looked forward to going to Butte on March 17. I never understood that until I started working with a whole bunch of people from Butte. I hear the celebration is epic.

Anyway, Griff (the engineer) and a couple of other guys really put on a nice lunch. One year, inspired by Griff's amazing corned beef, I decided to try it myself. Mine wasn't that great. I haven't made it since. Maybe I'll try again sometime, but maybe not. The time I made corned beef here at home, I used some of the leftovers to make a pretty good corned beef chowder. I remember thinking it was pretty tasty. Can't you make sandwiches out of corned beef, too?

My mom makes corned beef/roast beef taquitos that I crave. They don't require many ingredients, but you have to fry them and they spatter. I have never tried to make them. It's another one of those things that I really enjoy when they are prepared for me though! I really appreciate it when my mom makes them for me. I show my appreciation by eating a kabillion of them. It's probably good that I don't make them at home.

~~~~

Guess what? I went to spinning class tonight and it was the first time I didn't feel like throwing up when the workout was over. And I didn't get as claustrophobic tonight. Progress!

No comments: