Saturday, May 30, 2015

#1453 date night movie: Aloha






Tonight MT and I went to see the movie Aloha. I was really looking forward to seeing it for many reasons:

Cameron Crowe wrote and directed it.
The cast is amazing with Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, John Krasinski, Bill Murray, Charlie McBride and Alec Baldwin.
Cameron Crowe always has cute kids in his films.
It's set in Hawaii.
Did I mention Emma Stone?

We've been out of the movie for about an hour and I've been thinking about it. MT did not like it. He gave it a C minus, 1 star. I didn't hate it like that, but I will say it's no Jerry Maguire or Almost Famous or We Bought a Zoo or any of the other wonderful films Cameron Crowe has written and directed.

There's a lot of Hawaiian mythology and legends that are spoken of in the film. From reading about Hawaii lately, I've read that there are a lot of myths and legends about the islands but I don't know much except for Pele the volcano goddess. But all the myths kind of get confusing at the start of the show.

Then there's the whole "is he a good guy or a bad guy?" thing from Bradley Cooper's character. It was hard to decide if I liked him or not until the end.

Emma Stone is perky almost to the point of being annoying until she just is fantastic. Rachel McAdams' character seems a little confused and I couldn't really decide if I liked her either.

And yes, there were cute kids and I liked them a lot. 

The last 30 minutes or so of the movie was all good for me. From Brian's "conversation" with Woody to the meeting at the hotel bar, I loved it.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about it.

No comments: