Monday, July 20, 2015

#1484 is this a mid-life crisis?

Late last week, I think I had a mini mid-life crisis.

I woke up one day and thought, "I want a new car and it shall be a FIAT."

Why? I really don't know. Maybe I had a dream? I truly don't know what spurred the thought, but I could not get it out of my head. Here's the thing, though. The new FIATs that are being sold here in the States? I've never been in one or even looked at one up close. It was kind of weird. I got online and looked at them and the newest model, the 500X, looked appealing to me.





Kinda cute, right? It's a cross-over: part car, part SUV. They just barely came out a couple of weeks ago. I've never bought a brand new car. The price isn't bad. I decided to go to the dealership and take a look and maybe a test drive. I told MT about it and he looked at me like I was maybe going a little crazy, but he didn't try to stop me.

On Saturday afternoon, I went downtown to the FIAT dealership. I parked my car and wandered around the lot, checking out all the cars. The two door FIATs are tiny. I don't think I'm ready to go that small. The 500L is kind of cute, but it really didn't compare to the 500X.

I found a dark gray one, front wheel drive, automatic with some cool features. I stood in front of it for awhile. I walked around it and stood behind it for awhile, then peered in the windows on both the driver and the passenger side. I considered the price and thought of how much I owed on my Ford. I thought about how I didn't want to take on more debt. And did I really want a FIAT? If I wanted a cross-over, shouldn't I look at an Escape or a Santa Fe? There's really nothing wrong with my car. It's probably the nicest car I've ever owned, but I haven't really bonded with it. I'm not really much of a car girl anyway.

So after about 10 or 15 minutes of staring at the 500X, I just walked away. I got back in my own car and came home.

I know it's strange. I feel a little weird about the whole experience, like it wasn't really me thinking about getting a FIAT. When I came back into myself, so to speak, I thought how I would be happier if I just bought a bike rack for my car, then took my bike to get serviced and went for a bike ride. I didn't ride at all last year, and I haven't been on my bike this year either and it's because I don't have a way to take it where I like to ride. I've always used MT's truck, but it always has his work stuff in it and he needs it when he is working at the fixer upper because he needs a lot of tools.

That's my new plan, then: to get a bike rack, have the bike serviced, and go for a ride. It will be a lot cheaper than a new car and better for me fiscally and physically :) I'll keep you posted!

~~~~~~ 

I finished this book. Check out the 2015 Reading List page.

No comments: