Tuesday, July 21, 2015

#1485 his summer adventure

My son, T, is 17 years old. He will be in his senior year of high school starting in a few weeks. My husband and I give T a lot of freedom, I think. About the only thing I require from T is that he gets good grades at school, that he mows the lawn or shovels the snow, according to the season, and that he makes good choices and doesn't do anything illegal. A mom has to have her standards, right?

T is at the age where his friends are very important. That's ok and it's healthy and all that, but I admit that I miss hanging out with him. I knew the day would come. One day I say, "Hey, want to go here with me?" and he says, "No thanks. I'm good." I am having to adjust to being the mom of an independent young man. For 17 years, I've kind of put myself on the back burner to make sure T was happy and satisfied and confident, and I've loved every minute of it. I guess I've done an okay job because today T went to visit some friends in northern California.

It's the first time he has gone off by himself to see his friends and not our family. This trip is kind of a seat-of-the-pants/everything-will-work-out thing. It sort of freaks me out, but I'm trying to be cool with it. I am a person who plans. I like to know details. When I asked when he was leaving, he said, "When I can get a flight out." (He's flying stand-by; the friend's dad works for an airline and that how he got the tickets.) I ask, "When will you be back?" He said, "When I can get a flight back, probably in a week or so."

The good news is that he was able to get on the first flight out to San Francisco this morning, and he met up with his friend. He has texted me to let me know all is well. MT called him this afternoon to check in. I'm sure I'll call or text before I go to bed tonight. I just want T to be ok and have fun and be safe.



1 comment:

Pappy1 said...

I know how you feel. It was hard to let you and Isabel go. I cried like a baby when I took her to college, you too. As a parent you need to believe you did right in raising them. You did well. As he gets older he will come back to Mon and want to do things wit you. Right now it's hard to deal with him. Love him and let him know you have his best interest at heart.