Thursday, September 10, 2015

#1517 packing

Tonight I'm going to write about packing for this trip to Spain. I've been a little anxious about it because I don't want to take too many clothes, but I don't want to be wearing the same thing over and over either. I spent a fair amount of time researching what kinds of clothes to take to a European city and I found a nifty site called travelfashiongirl.com. 

One of the features of the website were various packing lists to choose from depending on where you are going, how long you will be gone, what time of year it is, etc. I did not go out and buy the clothing that was suggested, but I did use the lists as a loose guideline of how much to take. Another tip that I liked was trying to have most of your "tops" coordinate with most of your "bottoms".

What I ended up with was two pairs of skorts. Those are knee-length skirts with shorts underneath. Very comfortable and they look nice. I take them on every vacation. I have a pair of capri length pants and a pair of full length pants that can be made into capris. I'm also taking a couple of maxi skirts since I know we will be going out for dinner a few of the evenings. That makes six "bottoms". I have seven "tops", the majority of which will match all the bottoms. There are a couple that match all but one of the bottoms, which is okay I think. I'm also bringing a black cardigan sweater, a rain jacket, a scarf, a bathing suit and cover-up. I'm also taking three pairs of shoes: walking shoes, sandals and flip flops.  Of course there are under-things and pajamas, too, but those are minimal.

Here's a photo of all my stuff:



On travelfashiongirl.com, she told me all about the greatness of packing cubes, specifically by ebags. I was skeptical but intrigued. There's a short video of her actually packing a couple of weeks worth of clothing into three or four of the slim packing cubes. She made it look so effortless and convenient. I decided to give the ebags a try, but the I ordered a variety of sizes. There's a medium, small, mini and a slim. I should have taken a picture of the empty bags, but I didn't.

I don't think you are supposed to break a sweat when you are packing your clothes, but I admit that I did. I really, really wanted my stuff to fit into those little ebags! I was rolling and stuffing for all I was worth. Here's how it turned out:





I got everything in the bags except for the swimming suit, the cardigan, the rain jacket (not shown) and the shoes. I haven't even used the smallest bag. I'll be putting that in my carryon with a pair of undies and a clean shirt just in case my bag gets detoured. It happens. I always bring a change of clothes in my carry-on. You never know.

The suitcase I'm planning to take is a carry-on size although I will be checking it. Here's how everything fit:




Here I just have the three packing cubes in the suitcase.




Now the swimsuit, cover-up and cardigan are packed and so are the shoes. They are in the lid compartment. I still have plenty of space for my toiletry bag and my rain jacket plus whatever else might find it's way in there at the last minute.

Do I think I have too many clothes? Probably. My friend Candice the travel agent says that when you're packing, you should take half the clothes and double the money.

Will I have room for souvenirs? I think most of my souvenirs will be on my camera. I wouldn't mind finding some perfume, though. There used to be a couple of particular fragrances from Spain that I really loved. They remind me of my grandmother and my mom. I think I'll have room for a box or two of turron and chocolate.

Oh my gosh! Tomorrow is my last day of work before the trip! The week has gone well and quickly at work and at home. My to-do list is getting smaller (thankfully) and I will have everything ready by tomorrow night so that Saturday morning I will just have to grab my meds and my glasses and I'll be off.

I pretty well beyond excited!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

Looks a lot better than mine lol