Friday, June 10, 2016

#1692 foodie Friday: rum cake!

For my birthday this year, I decided that what I really wanted was a rum cake, so I set out to find a recipe. I didn't want to make the cake completely from scratch, so I found this recipe on Pinterest from The Pioneer Woman. I usually really like her recipes, and this one was no exception.

The only change I made to the recipe was that I omitted the chopped pecans. I just wanted cake and rum flavors. I used Myers Dark Rum in the cake. For the glaze, I used Bacardi Coco to give it a slight taste of coconut. I made the cake on Saturday night and let it sit overnight in the fridge, soaking up all the rummy, buttery goodness, then had a big ol' slice on Sunday.



Let me try to describe the results. The bottom of the cake had absorbed much of the glaze overnight, so it was kind of gooey. The top of the cake had become firm and was also coated with the glaze. The cake itself was rich, tender and dare I say, moist, but not soggy at all. Taking that first bite, especially of the bottom of the cake, was sort of like taking a shot of rum. It was pretty strong at first, but then when I had a more balanced bite - some bottom, some middle - it was more balanced and really, really good.



What would I do differently next time? I would decrease the amount of glaze. I used a stick and half of butter, like PW used in the narration of the recipe. That might be a bit much. MT thought the glaze was overpowering. There was so much glaze that pooled at the bottom of the plate, that MT thought the bottom of the cake was not as good as the the middle and top. I kind of liked the boozy bottom of the cake, but I understood what he was saying. The other thing MT said about the cake is that it reminded him of everything he loved about the Caribbean. It did taste like vacation :)

This is not a cake I would make just for a Sunday dessert. For me, it is a special occasion cake.  I could see myself making it for Thanksgiving or Christmas (or my birthday).  That being said, I would also have to say that this is probably one of my favorite cakes. It was crazy good and I know I will absolutely make it again.

1 comment: