Saturday, March 11, 2017

#1833 Saturday with Sandy

I won't bore you with all the details - just the highlights, or at least the parts where I actually did something.

First things first: Weight Watchers. I won't go into details because I like to ponder and renew my commitment by writing about it on Wednesday, but it was a good meeting. The .4 lbs that I gained back last week were gone again this morning. They should certainly stay gone for next Saturday and hopefully some other parts of a pound will join them in being off my body.

When I came home I talked to T. I don't see him a lot since he's busy with school, work and friends. I like to tempt him with a beverage from Starbucks so I can have one-on-one time. He gets a very sweet frozen coffee beverage with lots of whipped cream. Today I had a green tea lemonade. Tastes like summer!

It was a lovely spring day here with temps in the low 60s. There were some wispy clouds, but mostly the sky was blue. I decided it was the perfect day to return to Red Butte Garden. I haven't been there since December and I miss it. There was a wedding reception happening in the orangerie and there were lots of people out enjoying the day and strolling through the garden. A few families had picnics and were sitting at the tables in the courtyard. Others were soaking in the sun on benches throughout the garden.

I was a little concerned about the walk because the Garden is on a hill and my leg hasn't completely recovered from the surgery. Going downhill was harder than I thought it should be. Lovely Paul explained that downhill was more difficult because the muscle is lengthening. (No, he wasn't with me today. I told him on Thursday that I thought going down the stairs was harder than climbing the stairs and he explained why. Same explanation for walking down a hill.) When I got down to the Rose Garden, I sat on a bench in the sun and read for a few minutes while I rested my knee. It was a little fatigued. Then I walked back up the hill, completing the loop around the garden. I was so happy to be there that I actually got a little teary. I know it sounds crazy. I'm a sap. Red Butte Garden is a special place to me that calms me and helps me take my mind off things that bother me. When I'm there I kind of shut down my mind and just pay attention to nature. It's therapeutic.

How long was I at Red Butte Garden? I don't know, to tell you the truth. Maybe an hour. I wasn't walking very fast and of course I had to stop and take some photos here and there. I wanted to share a photo here, but they haven't made it to the iCloud yet, so no photo today.

After I'd had my fill of the garden, I went to another favorite place: Trader Joe's. I hadn't been to the store in a couple of months and I was running low on necessities like salsa and chocolate. They have a treat that Osi loves - dried chicken. It's a dog treat and the only ingredient is dried chicken. When it is in stock, I always buy at least two packages. I also always try to find something new to try for myself. Today's find was a chicken bowl with brown rice and quinoa and black beans. I'll have it for lunch one day next week. I also bought a chocolate Brooklyn babka. I saw on a website that it was delicious and I should not leave the store without it, so I had to buy it. It's a loaf-shaped pastry that is layered with chocolate. When I got home I warmed up a small slice in the microwave and tasted it. Pretty good, I have to say. I don't know that it is my favorite thing, but it's a nice treat.

Tonight I made dinner (carnitas from Trader Joe's) and I have been reading. MT is watching documentaries on Amazon; T is going to a rave with some friends.

Overall I'd have to say that I am satisfied with how this day has played out.

Remember to SPRING FORWARD America.

No comments: