Thursday, June 28, 2018

#2057 three things: books, music and the shrine


Here we go...

1. An abundance of choices. I like books. I like lists. I have a ginormous list of books that I would like to read. I have marked up the list to identify books that I currently own, both electronic and physical, and books that I can get electronically from the library. There are a whole bunch of books that don't fit into either category, but I'm always looking. The problem I have is that when it comes time to start a new book, I have a hard time choosing. Sometimes I will number the books and have MT or T pick a number in the range and that's how I read the book they "choose". Sometimes I will be in a specific mood for a certain type of book - earlier this week I found myself in dire need of a simple chick-lit story. I hadn't read one of those for awhile. When I got home from work I was looking at the ebooks I have and trying to pick one. I couldn't do it. So I took a nap. I'm really tired.

BECAUSE...

2. Volunteering. I got a new volunteer assignment at Red Butte Garden! I am officially a concert volunteer! You have to put in some time at the garden to become a concert volunteer. Usually you have to have three years of service before you can even be considered. This is my third year, but I reached out to the volunteer coordinator, Lauren, and asked if I could have some concert duty. I had to fill out an application and have an interview with Lauren, but I made the cut. Last night was my first show. My assignment was not sexy: I was on the clean-up crew which means that after the show I put on some rubber gloves and grabbed a big heavy-duty garbage sack and walked through the amphitheater picking up garbage that people left behind. I can tell you that the people who sit in the donor/sponsor pavilion don't much bother with throwing away their garbage and cleaning up after themselves.

The cool thing is that I got to see the whole concert and I only had to work for 20 to 30 minutes. There were four or five of us picking up trash, so it went pretty fast. Even though I only worked for, let's say, 18 minutes, I get credit for volunteer the whole time I was there, which was about three hours!  WIN! I'm tired, though, because I didn't get home until around 11:45.

Last night's show was Michael Franti. I know only one song of his ("Say Hey"), but one of the ladies I volunteer with told me that his shows are fun and he is a cool guy. She was right. The show was fun and he does seem cool. I loved that he went out into the crowd  to sing. He's all about peace and love and being kind. There was such a nice vibe to the crowd. Lots of little kids, people dancing,  waving their arms in the air and singing along. Joyful! Here are a couple of pics:

I'm at the back of the venue shortly after Michael Franti came on

Now I'm on the west side of the stage. You can see everyone is standing up and moving around

Michael is the "tall" guy with the red guitar strap on his shoulder. He's out in the crowd
I've been to several shows at Red Butte Garden and I haven't ever seen the whole crowd - even the folks in the donor pavilion - stand up for the whole show. Infectious music from a good performer.

(The third item is completely unrelated to the first two items. I just have to tell the story and share the photo.)

3. The Shrine. Last week as I was driving to work, I spotted a dead raccoon on the side of the road. I thought, "Oh wow. A dead raccoon." The next day, the raccoon had a silver, star-shaped Mylar balloon tied to one of his stiff little legs. I thought, "Oh wow. That's f'd up. I hope the person who tied that balloon on the leg was wearing gloves." On Monday, I noticed a little shrine on the side of the road. There was a small cross and some flowers. I thought, "Oh wow. It's sad that someone died there." This morning as I drove by the shrine, I noticed a photo on the cross. As I looked a little closer at the photo, I saw that it was a photo of a raccoon. I burst out laughing and pulled over because, well, I cracked me up and became blog fodder.


RIP little raccoon. And thank you, Salt Lake person(s), for bringing a little humor into my commute.

~~~~~~




PS...I still haven't picked out a book, but I have finished a few. Check out the 2018 Reading List page to see what I've been reading. :)



No comments: