Thursday, July 5, 2018

#2061 three things: music, music, music


There is a theme to tonight's post:

1. The Avett Brothers. I wrote last week (or sometime recently) that I had picked up a new volunteer gig at Red Butte Garden on the concert crew. The Avett Brothers show was on my list, but not one of the seven that I was scheduled to work. That changed on Monday when Lauren, the volunteer coordinator, called me to see if I would be interested in working at the show the next day. "Of course," I said. I had a super-easy and pleasant assignment hanging out on the Shoreline Trail between the volunteer gate, which was turned into the fan club gate, and the donor gate. Mostly I said hi to people that walked by and answered a few questions. Then I got to pull up a nice patch of grass and listen to good music. Lizzie likes their music, so I knew I would like it too, and I do! I especially like them live. I listened to their music on Google Play and it was good, but live music is always better, isn't it?

2. Home-sharing. T has a ginormous music library. His preferred genre is rap and hip-hop, so when I want the hook-up with that style of music, T homeshares his library with me. Yesterday we were both hanging out in the house at the same time, so we made the homeshare happen. I wanted to get the new CDs from Drake, the Carters (you know, Jay Z and Beyonce),  Cardi B, Post Malone and J. Cole. T suggested several other CDs, so now I have a bunch of new music. He overloads me but it's fun. Usually when I listen to my library, I just put it on shuffle songs unless I want to listen to something specific. That drives T nuts. He wants to me listen to an album front to back, which is ideal, but I don't do it very often. I will listen to Drake's Scorpion, though, because we'll be seeing him in a few weeks and I want to be familiar with the new stuff. By the way, Nice for What is currently my favorite song.

3. Bluebird Cafe at Sundance. MT and I went to a couple of Bluebird Cafe shows last year and we enjoyed them so much that we decided to buy ourselves tickets to all four shows in the series this year. Tomorrow night is the first show. The Bluebird Cafe is a songwriter's showcase venue in Nashville and they take selected songwriter/artists out on this tour. Being based in Nashville, you can imagine that most of the songwriters write country music. I'm not familiar with most country music, but good songs are good songs and when the songs are performed by the person who wrote them in a beautiful venue up in the mountains on a gorgeous summer night, it's pretty dang enjoyable. 

No comments: