Tuesday, July 3, 2018

#2060 travel Tuesday: a cabin by the lake

MT and I were talking about going to Yellowstone later this month. I looked at hotels, Airbnb and even the KOA campground and everything in West Yellowstone was out of my price range. Forget about staying in the Park itself! If you want to spend a weekend in Yellowstone, you have to plan ahead. Even a tent spot was $72/night. For a tent spot! Yes, it had water and electricity, but I would be sleeping in my tent! Seemed high to me. Of course, it's been awhile since I've been camping, so maybe $72/night is reasonable.

We still want to go to Yellowstone, but we are now looking at weekends later in the year, maybe even after Labor Day.

It is camping season here in the west. Many of my friends have gone camping recently or are out camping right now. I'm not much of a camper. I like being outdoors, but I also like to be comfortable. I absolutely can't pee in the woods. Just no. So I have to be in a campground at the very least. When MT and I were dating way back when, I went camping with him because when you're trying to win the man's heart, you'll do stuff that's out of your comfort zone. For example, other than camping, I tried skiing and rock climbing. Neither were my favorite things, but I tried.

However, with all the talk about going to Yellowstone and hearing about my friends' camping, it made me have the urge to go to a cabin by a lake. In my mind, there are beautiful, fragrant pine trees all around. The lake has a rocky little beach. The cabin is close enough to the water that I can sit out on the deck of the cabin and sip a beverage while I contemplate the beauty of nature and the landscape around me. The sky, trees and mountains are reflected in the clear water of the lake. I read; I write. I go for nice walks along the shoreline and into the woods which are perfectly safe and free of scary things like bears and ticks.

In the evening we cook out on the grill. We have s'mores. (Lately everyone at WW has been talking about s'mores. It has been years since I had a s'more, but now it's almost all I can think about!) I sleep peacefully, snug in a warm blanket against the chill of the mountain air. In the morning I go outside and listen to the birds chirping and feel the sun begin to warm the forest. I drink hot chocolate. We cook bacon and eggs.

Are you feeling me?

The problem is that I am not exactly sure where this cabin is located or if it even exists near where I am.


Oh look! Here's one. It's in Canada. Probably won't work for a weekend getaway in my budget range.

I'll keep looking. If I find one, don't worry. I'll be sure to let you know. I'll most likely write all about it!

1 comment: