Tuesday, September 17, 2019

#2253 cold and scared: a night at the Garden

Tonight I volunteered for the gate at a corporate event at RBG. I was scheduled to get there at 7:00, but was asked to come early since they were short-handed, so I got there at 5:30. It was chilly today, only in the 60s, but at least it wasn't raining. I was prepared for cool weather, though. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt layered over a t-shirt, jeans, and shoes and socks. I also brought a beanie, a scarf, gloves, a long raincoat (just in case) and my puffy jacket.

I slowly added layers as the sun started to go down along with the temperature. By the end of the night I was wearing everything except the raincoat and I was still cold. I was probably warmer than a lot of the guests at the event, though. As they left, I saw them eyeing my coat and hat with envy. I waved good-bye with my gloved fingers. I assured them that I only looked warm and that I was actually very cold. I had been standing around out there for a few hours, after all.

As JoAnn the tram driver and I were waiting for everyone to leave, we had an unexpected and unwelcome guest: a mouse. It took shelter under the tram. Maybe it was warm under there. Every time it peeked out from behind the tire, JoAnn and I would shriek. The mouse would take a few steps past the tram, probably trying to get to the safety of the geraniums, and JoAnn and I would squeal and stomp our feet. JoAnn eventually climbed up on a chair, yep, just like in a cartoon.
I was standing over by the gate where I could keep an eye on the situation. JoAnn thinks there might have been two mice; for my sanity, I'm going with the thought that there was just the one creature and that it was just as scared of us as we were of it.

JoAnn got a radio call to go to the Rose House to pick up the last guests. She didn't want to leave me alone with the mice, so I rode along. I was thankful that I wasn't out there alone with the mice. Another thing to think about out there!

We picked up the last guests and then we got to leave. I have to tell you, I had the heater cranked up in my car and the seat warmer on high. I did finally start to warm up as I got closer to home. My feet are still cold though. Also, I was paranoid that a mouse had somehow climbed into my bag and I kept expecting one to climb out on the seat and scamper around. My imagination is active. I turned up the radio and sang really loud, which I'm sure would scare a mouse. You better believe I emptied my bag outside just in case. It was fine, and I felt a little better.

Time for bed now. Hope I don't have mice dreams and that I can get my feet warmed up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind mice too much but I totally hate rats!