Sunday, September 15, 2019

#2252 weekend wrap-up

This morning when I woke up I was sure it was Monday, so you better believe I was totally stoked when I realized it was Sunday!

I might have mentioned I got off work a bit early on Friday afternoon. What a treat! I came home and flopped on my bed, did some reading, played with my phone and looked at my planner. I was thinking about what Lizzie might be doing, then my phone rang and guess who? It was Lizzie! We talked for a little while about this and that. She had some fun plans with friends in San Diego on Friday and Saturday.

On Friday afternoon at work I listened to the local program on NPR called RadioWest. The subject of the show was a book written by Jeff Sharlet about the Family, a Christian group that is influential in U.S. politics. Netflix made a docuseries from the book and on Friday night I watched the first episode of the series, which is called The Family. There's not a lot of action, but it is interesting to see how far-reaching this group's influence is. I watched one episode on Friday and two more on Saturday. There are just five episodes, so I'll probably watch the last two just to finish it. I had no idea there were groups like this in existence, but that's mostly just because I am naive. Almost nothing is as straightforward as you would want it to be, especially politics.

Saturday was pretty mellow. First WW, then to RBG to record blooms and then to hang out in the Courtyard. It was a lovely day: warm but not too hot. The Garden wasn't too busy in the afternoon. There was a Utah football game happening just down the hill. The Utes were playing my alma mater, Idaho State University. It really isn't a fair fight. ISU is several divisions below a Power 5 conference team and they were beaten soundly, 31 -0. Why would a program like Idaho State play a program like Utah? It's all about the Benjamins - $$$. ISU gets a big fat check from Utah that will finance their football program for a two to three years. For Utah, it is basically a preseason game, a warm-up to the PAC12 conference games that start next weekend.

I got home in time to watch the entire second half of the game, but it wasn't much fun to watch, to be honest. I flipped back and forth between the Utah game and the BYU game. I know it's hard to believe, that I would willingly watch BYU, but they were playing USC, Utah's opponent next week. I had to see what would happen. BYU wound up beating USC in overtime. It was pretty spectacular, actually.

Today's big thing was that I went to the spa to get my eyebrows tamed and a pedicure. A new lady that I didn't know did the work. She was nice and did a good job. She was very good at the massage part. I love to get a pedicure.

Yesterday I finished two books. They were both good. One was a YA book called First & Then. The other was a book Lizzie recommended called The Music Shop. I finished that book while I was at RBG. It made my eyes leak and caused me to have a big goofy smile on my face. Good thing there weren't many people around. I'll be writing about them on the Reading page soon, but probably not tonight.

Other than the spa visit, today I have been doing chores at home. I made zucchini bread. (It's delicious!)  I started reading a new book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. It has been in my To Be Read (TBR) pile for several years, so I decided to read it. I'm also reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I bought the ebook earlier in the year after #EkpesBookClub read it while we were on vacation in Thailand. I didn't participate in the discussions, but I read some of the tweets and decided to get it. Nothing light and fluffy for me the next couple of weeks!

Next week is busy. I've got a volunteer gig on Tuesday night. I think it is some corporate event thing. It's supposed to rain on Tuesday, so that might be kind of awful. On Thursday night I have my last concert of the season at the Garden, Jason Isbell. I will be doing clean up, so I bought a ticket for MT to come to the show. Neither of us know his music, but Lizzie said he's good, so I'm looking forward to hearing someone new. Friday is the Utah/USC game. Saturday during the day will be business as usual, then T and I will fly out to southern California to spend a few days with Mom and Lizzie. I'm looking forward to that!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I remember loving A Thousand Splendid Sons!
And Jason Isbell is going to be fabulous!!