Sunday, February 28, 2021

#2515 a winter walk at Red Butte Garden

Yesterday I went for a walk at Red Butte Garden. The Garden had been closed in January, and I promised myself that I would visit it in February. I cut it close, but made it happen.

Yesterday was cold and snowy at times. The paths were clear, but there were some slick spots, so I had to pay attention where I put my feet. There weren't very many people: I saw a couple and three young women while I was walking. On my way out, I saw another couple and a mom with two kids. I could hear the birds twittering in the trees because it was so quiet. It was a wonderful afternoon of restoration.

The Garden is dear and familiar to me, and even though I know what is around every curve in the paths, each season gives those curves a different look. Here are some photos:

This chubby little bird greeted me when I first entered the Garden. He hopped along with me for a little way.  


Snowy!! This is a hillside, not the path.


Here is one of my favorite trees, the paperbark maple, cradling some snow.


This is the lower falls of Red Butte Creek on the east side of the bridge where the big falls are. I like all the different colors.

I think it might be physically and mentally impossible for me NOT to take a photo of the main falls. I am crazy for this waterfall.


After crossing the bridge over the creek, you get to the Amphitheater. I smiled, thinking these snowmen were concert-goers who were claiming their spots for upcoming shows. Check out that sky! 


Another photo of the ominous sky to the southeast of the Garden. This a photo of the big pond, all covered with snow and ice.


These are my favorite white birches right on the edge of the pond. They look pretty.


I love the way this pines are wrapped up for winter. The sky looks cool, too. This is up in the Water Conservation Garden.


Here is the swing that inspired my Word choice this year (Intention). The seat was wet, so I decided to pass on sitting down for a spell. Like the waterfall, though, I'll probably always take the photo.


I thought the snow resting in the pine needles kind of looked like flowers. Of course, pine trees don't have flowers, but in my mind, today they did.


So with that, we'll say good-bye to February. I'll be back tomorrow to write on odd-number days in the third month!

Peace!



1 comment:

Kteach said...

The Garden looks gorgeous at any season. Those pictures are great!