Sunday, April 7, 2024

#2892 a trip and a trip

On Friday I worked through my lunch hour and left the office an hour early. Instead of going home, I headed north to Pocatello to surprise my BFF LA at her book signing event. It is definitely spring in the Rockies; I had ALL the weather types you can imagine. It was lightly raining when I left SLC. The rain picked up a bit as I got to the Ogden area, then turned into chunky rain at Brigham City, and snow toward Tremonton, along with a pretty dense fog. As I-15 curled north into Idaho, the weather turned back into chunky rain at Plymouth, where I stopped for a restroom break, and I thought for sure it would be awful going over Malad pass. Thankfully as I passed the state line, the weather cleared up and although the road was wet, the precipitation was done as I went over the mountain pass. The sun was shining, and the clouds parted just enough to show some hints of blue. As I got closer to Inkom, it got windy and the weather kicked in again with light snow, but it dissipated when I got to Pocatello. What a drive!

MT left for Pocatello earlier in the day. We took separate cars because on Saturday, he and his mom headed east for Columbia, Missouri to see the total eclipse, to check out the property we have there, and to hook on a trailer of his brother's. MT and I met up and went to the bookstore where LA had her signing. She was excited to see us, and for a bonus, her sister Jen was there, too. I hadn't seen Jen in years, like 13 years! The three of us, Jen, LA, and I, used to hang out together all the time. It was fun to chat with her while LA pedaled her book and signed copies of it.


Afterward. LA and her husband Rob met MT and I at Mama Inez, a local Mexican restaurant, for a late dinner. It was just like old times, sitting there eating cheese crisps and telling stories. At the end, we got to giggling so hard that LA was wiping her eyes and my face hurt from smiling so hard. It felt good to reconnect while still feeling like we had just seen each other a few days ago. It's such an easy friendship, and the longest friendship I have ever had. We've known them for 36 years! 

I drove home on Saturday morning after buying some PowerBall tickets (no lottery in Utah.) The PowerBall jackpot is like $1.3 billion. I can't tell you the last time I bought a PowerBall ticket, but my friendly co-worker, Marta, gave me some cash and asked me to buy some for her, so I got some for myself as well. I didn't win anything. I don't think Marta did either. Oh well.

When I got home, T and I went to get some pizza. After we ordered, we walked to the nearby Barnes and Noble. I took a spill when I missed a step up while looking at a window display, and sprawled out on the concrete after landing on my left knee. I was embarrassed and also in a bit of pain. I took some Tylenol when I got home and cursed my clumsiness and stupidity. Today I've been resting, sleeping a lot. It's how my body deals with repairing itself. I almost didn't tell this story because I know my mama is probably freaking out right about now, but it happened, so there it is. I'm sore and tender, but I'll likely be okay. My knee is a bit swollen where it hit the ground, and it might bruise, but I think it's all right overall. It's metal, so I got that going for me.

MT has had an eventful drive east. I-80 was closed through Nebraska due to high winds and heavy snow, so they re-routed through Denver and into Kansas. In Kansas, there was a haz-mat spill on the freeway, so they were re-routed again onto a highway where they got a little lost and couldn't find a way to get back to the freeway. I really hope they have clear skies for the eclipse tomorrow!

Gallery time!

I only have one bit of art to share tonight. I made this little card for LA:


Here are a couple of photos I took. I had my first volunteer gig of the season on Thursday when I went up to record blooms in the Children's Garden. There aren't a lot of blooms just yet, but this hellebore caught my eye because it is just so pretty!


Here is a pic of T at the pizza shop.


He looks thrilled, doesn't he? LOL

Until next time...take care, and watch out for stupid steps that will trip you and make you feel like an idiot.




  

1 comment:

Kteach said...

That's quite a trip you had with all the changes in the weather. And you're right, I freaked a little about your falling, grrrr, please be extra careful, falls are not good for anybody. Whhatcyh what you're doing! Besos