Saturday, August 8, 2015

#1499 the fixer upper: work on the master bath

It's been a few weeks since I have been to the fixer upper (or the FU as MT sometimes calls it), so I decided to drop by today to take a few photos. MT has been focusing on the the new master bath, or en suite as we like to call it. I think I've mentioned before that MT decided to move the bathroom to a completely different location and widen the bedroom itself. Where he is building the new bathroom, there used to be a wood-burning stove. He's taken that out and he removed the chimney flue today, so there was a hole in the roof. When I got there, he was covering up the hole.

See the light pouring in from the hole in the ceiling?
I didn't take a photo after the hole was covered because it was really dark in there. MT will be installing a window with obscured glass in the far wall there, by where the ladder is. I think it will look nice and let in some good light.

The en suite will not have a bathtub because there is a big jetted tub in the main bathroom. Instead, MT has framed in what will be a nice oversize shower.

Future shower in the en suite
Before all of the framing and dry-walling started, MT configured and installed the plumbing.

Plumbing lines in the future shower
 He also installed a light and a fan in the shower. I don't have photos of the light and fan, but I saw them with my own eyes and they work!

MT has put up some of the drywall in the new bathroom.


When I left, he and T were going to put sheet rock up on the ceiling. That is really a two-man job. Before T came in to help MT with the sheet rock, he was out pulling weeds.





T works with his dad sometimes, and this week, he got a job at a sandwich shop in our neighborhood! He is working part time and has had two shifts so far. He seems to like it and is motivated to make some money. It's his first real job. My baby is growing up :)

I was just looking through these photos and it strikes me that work-in-progress photos aren't very fun. What will be fun is when the project is all done and we can compare what it used to look like to the finished rooms. It's really such a huge project and MT, along with some help from T, is doing it all himself. Blows my mind every time.

Have a great weekend, all!



1 comment:

Kteach said...

That's a lot of work! Good job Marty!
I think T needs a hoe to weed no? :)