Tuesday, December 3, 2019

#2284 travel Tuesday: the best day of 2019

I am shamelessly copying my sister's idea of cross-posting an idea from Instagram over here on the blog. My sister is brilliant and has the best ideas and I want to be like her, so here we are.

On Instagram I am participating in a challenge of sorts to post a photo that fits the theme of the day. The challenge is presented by Susannah Conway, a lady that I'm certain I would be friends with if we lived anywhere near each other. However, she lives in London and I live in Salt Lake City, so we'll probably never meet, but I do follow her on IG and participate in stuff she puts out there.

Today's prompt is "best day of 2019". This one was sooooo easy for me to choose. It was February 16. MT and I were in Thailand, in the Krabi area, and we decided to rent a private longtail boat for the day. We arranged it through the resort where we were staying. It was a four island tour with an English-speaking guide and a driver who took care of us all day.

I have written about the day at length here and here, so I won't go into details or post more photos, except for this one which I put on IG today:


What makes this day so memorable is the unbelievable factor. I wouldn't have ever thought that I would be on a longboat in Thailand (!) happily sitting at the bow (!) looking at this incredible scenery and having conversations with our guide about all kinds of things, from politics to how he learned to speak English so well to what our families eat for dinner to why I have two big scars on my knees.

I also remember that MT got a terrible sunburn because he was so busy snorkeling that he forgot to reapply sunscreen. He said it was one of his favorite snorkeling days. He just got to swim and swim. Our guide, Leng, didn't hurry him or worry about where he was because he saw that MT is a strong swimmer.

Another great thing about this day was how relaxed and worry-free we were (until I saw that monkey where we had lunch). Overall and for the most part, I was super-relaxed and so happy to be there. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. If that doesn't make for the best day, I don't know what does.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

It doesn't work that way because I want to be like you!