Monday, December 2, 2019

#2283 Monday movie mini review

I like to watch movies, but it seems for awhile I wasn't watching many movies. I enjoy going to the cinema because it's fun to see the film on the big screen and eat popcorn. There just haven't been many movies I wanted to shell out the money to see for awhile. Until there was. Last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, my menfolk and I went to see the movie Knives Out.


From the previews, it looked like a bit of a funny Agatha Christie-type story and I guess it was like that in a way. There were definitely funny parts, like Daniel Craig's Foghorn Leghorn southern accent which seemed so strange coming out of James Bond's face. It was Agatha Christie-esque in that it was a mystery with a death and the whodunit question. It was also about a family that is not what it seems and a caregiver who wants to do the right thing and can't tell a lie.

I was charmed and entertained by this movie. There are so many fine actors in the film. I especially liked Chris Evans - he was the anti Captain America in this one. He wore a white sweater in one scene that made me swoon. (It seems like I'm not the only one if you look at the internet.)

That. Sweater.
If you are looking for a fun movie to see, I highly recommend Knives Out.

Since I was in the movie-going mood, on Saturday I went to see Frozen 2.


I totally loved it. I get emotional at most Disney movies, and this one about sisters pretty much does me in. In this movie, there is a flashback to when Anna and Elsa were little and their parents tell them a story. They are then drawn across the sea to the land of the forests where they must right a wrong. Adventure ensues. Kristoff and Sven are there and so is Olaf and there's also an adorable little fiery salamander that I just can't even...

I mean...he's adorable!
I want this little fellow!

So go see Frozen 2 while you're at it. The music is great. The story is fun. I smiled and yes, I cried (because Disney!) and it was just wonderful.

One more movie to talk about. On the way back from Mexico I watched a couple of movies. One is a classic, When Harry Met Sally, which I hadn't seen in quite awhile, so it was fun. The other was a newer movie that I hadn't seen called Yesterday.


The film has a weird premise: there is a 12 second power outage all over the world, and when the power comes back on, only this one guy, Jack, remembers the songs of The Beatles. The Beatles did not exist. Jack decides the world needs the music and since he is a struggling musician who has decided to hang up his guitar anyway, he writes down all the Beatles songs he can remember and tells everyone that he wrote them. Nobody knows any better. The thing is, that Jack doesn't have the heart of a songwriter, so when asked (by Ed Sheeran) how he came up with the words to some of the most beautiful songs ever written, like Let It Be or The Long and Winding Road, for example, Jack's got nothing.

Strangely, though, there are two other people that do remember The Beatles: a man from Russia and a woman from Liverpool. When Jack is becoming a big star, these two people figure out a way to meet Jack and they give him some information that leads him to...well, I'm not gonna spoil it for you.

Obviously, the music is fantastic and the dude who plays Jack is a good singer and everything is fine, but the movie was kinda meh for me. Richard Curtis, who has written movies I adore like Love, Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral, wrote this story and I just wasn't as charmed by it as I have been with his other movies. It was okay for an airplane ride though.

That's all for tonight! More words tomorrow :)

No comments: