Saturday, September 2, 2023

#2858 three things: Jimmy Buffett edition

 


Even though it is not the usual day to write about three things, the news of Jimmy Buffett's death on September 1 made me think about memories I have related to his music. MT and I saw him perform in concert here in SLC a few years ago. It was basically a sing-along; we knew all the words to every song. Jimmy even had an album called "Songs You Know by Heart." His show and his music were fun, and I appreciated these memories. 

1. Why Don't We Get Drunk. In college, I had a friend called Mary. Whenever we went to the bar and ordered a pitcher of beer (which was often), Mary would sing "Barmaid, bring a pitcher/Another round of brew/Honey, why don't we get drunk and screw." I remember asking her what the hell she was singing, and she told me about Jimmy Buffett. Of course I knew who Jimmy Buffett was. I'd heard many of his songs, but not that particular one. To this day, whenever I order a pitcher of beer (which is NOT that often) I think of Mary and I sing this song, at least in my head.


2. Come Monday. In 2007 or 2008, MT, T, and I went on vacation in Mexico. MT's parents and our nephew Garrett came with us. One afternoon, the six of us went on an excursion to go snorkeling. We were aboard a big, beautiful catamaran, sailing on the bright blue Caribbean. It was a gorgeous day, with the sun shining, no clouds in the sky, the water the color of sparkling turquoise. We arrived at the snorkeling area, and most of the passengers got off the boat to swim and snorkel. I stayed on the boat, sipping a cocktail and enjoying the music the crew had playing. It was pretty quiet and mellow on deck since most of the folks were off the boat. The Jimmy Buffett song "Come Monday" started playing. An older couple got up and started to dance. They held each other close and swayed on the deck. I could see them singing to each other. It was like they forgot anyone else was around. There were no fancy moves or showboating, just these two people getting lost in the song and each other on this glorious day. I remember that everyone still on the boat was quiet and almost reverent as we watched the couple dance, and we applauded them at the end of the song. I haven't ever forgotten that scene. I might have teared up a little at the time, just like I am right now. I can see the scene so clearly in my mind, even though it was at least 15 years ago. When I hear this song, I am transported back on that boat with that lovely couple. 


3. Cheeseburger in Paradise. MT and I went on vacation to a true idyllic paradise called Palm Island, a small private island in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. (Ha! Even the country's name sounds like a boat music band!) Palm Island can only be accessed by boat, and most of it is a private resort. There is one part of the island were visitors can dock to have a drink and get something to eat. MT and I would go over to this other small beach bar sometimes when we got tired of the amazing food and spectacular service at the main restaurant LOL. It was fun to see the yachts anchor offshore and see the people who came into the bar. I don't have any photos of the place or the couple in the story above, because it was before I had a photo-taking cell phone. 

Anyway, one day, we went over to the beach bar and I ordered a cheeseburger. We'd been on vacation for awhile and I was longing for a taste of home, I guess. The meal came out. There was a pile of hot, crispy fries. The bun was lightly buttered with crunchy edges. The meat was perfectly seasoned and grilled, thick and juicy. The cheese melted down the side of the meat. I always get my burgers plain - no veg - so I can taste the meat and cheese. My mouth is watering as I remember that exquisite cheeseburger. I remember looking around the bar at the colorful nautical flags flapping in the cool breeze, seeing the crystal clear Caribbean with the yachts and sailboats anchored offshore, squinting my eyes at the sparkling white sand, listening to the reggae music being played over the speakers. I remember savoring that tasty burger, washed down by an ice cold beer in a frosty glass, and thinking, "Oh! This is what Jimmy Buffett means in that song!"   


RIP Jimmy Buffett. Thank you for your music! 

1 comment:

Kteach said...

That was fun listening to the music and your stories about the songs. Happy moments :