Sunday, January 14, 2024

#2876 family time

We bought ourselves a new toy today: a ginormous TV.


Last night we were sitting here watching the NFL playoffs, and our TV had a dark band across the top third of the screen. I looked over at MT and T, and they were kind of squinting at the screen, and I noticed that my face was scrunched up, too. We tried different channels, just to make sure it wasn’t something with the program, but all the channels we checked were like that.

This morning when we got up, we turned the TV on to see if the dark band was a one night thing, but no. The dark band had advanced, and was now taking up about half the screen. This would not do, especially as we get deeper into the playoffs. 

The three of us piled into the truck and headed to Costco. After looking at every TV in the store, we chose an 85” Sony. We also had to get a new wall mount bracket, and we added a Sony soundbar to enhance the sound for movies. 

MT and T spent a few hours putting removing the old TV and wall mount, then installing the new mount and TV. It took awhile for us to log into our streaming apps and to figure out what remotes to use to access the cable, but we’ve got it now, and we’ve been happily watching football all evening. It’s been rare for us to all sit together and watch TV. T is really interested in football this year, and you know, it makes my sports-loving heart happy to watch the games with my son. I think the dogs like it when we are all in the same room, too. 

Really, this new TV is almost unreasonably large. It takes up most of the wall. I kind of got a little headache when I first sat down with it. I think I can get used to it, though. LOL

~~~

Let’s talk about art for a little minute. Here are some things I’ve done recently. Jill Badonsky, aka Jill the Artist, supplied the prompts.

I drew this carousel horse with my left (non-dominant) hand, then I painted it with my right hand. I like to draw with my left hand. I kind of feel like it takes the pressure off my brain because I know the drawing will be wobbly, and I accept the wobble.


This instruction for this next drawing was to do something to welcome the new year. I immediately thought of balloons. I added a wilty little balloon with a “3” on it to symbolize the old year going away. It made me giggle.



The prompt for this one was owl. Harry Potter’s owl, Hedwig, popped right into my head.  I like to draw owls. This owl is kinda chonky. 


The next prompt was to play with light, and Jill suggested using fruit. I knew I wanted to paint lemons, because they are pretty. I didn’t draw the lemons first. I got my paintbrush wet and drew a lemon shape (roughly), then added light yellow paint, and successively darker shades of yellow to show light. The paper was still wet when I took the photo, so it looks lumpy.


This final drawing is prompted by the Spanish painter Joan Miró. When I think of Miró, or see his art, I immediately think of Barcelona, the painter’s (and my mama’s) birthplace and my favorite city. I wanted to make a picture that honored both Miró and the city, and this is what I came up with. 


A couple more little projects that were fun…

For Christmas, I gave my mamacita a couple of photo albums. One contained photos of our May trip to Paris and Barcelona. I made a little graphic title card for the cover. I like the way it turned out, and I had a fun time making it.


I also made a photo album with pics of our trip to Yellowstone in October. I found this little graphic online and thought it was adorable and really wanted to try it myself. So fun to do! I probably could have done a better job editing this photo, also maybe with the spacing on the card stock. I still like it. 



That’s all for tonight. Be safe out there!



1 comment:

Kteach said...

Go big or be square! (not sure that's how it goes lol)

Love all your drawings/doodles. Nice work, and I so love the photo books you made.