Sunday, March 3, 2024

#2884 last week's trip to Dixon



I have been inconsistent about writing here. I miss doing it, but things get busy and something's gotta give, and it is often this space. Rest assured, my energy and attention is channeled into other creative endeavors. I have been writing a lot in my journal, and it is giving me a lot of joy. Adding little doodles, stickers, photos, and quotes in the journal has lit me up and given me a new layer of love for my favorite book. 

Side note: as I've been going through my family estate in Dixon, it has caused me to ponder my own stuff at home. Although no where near the levels of "stuff" that exist in Dixon, we have accumulated a lot of things in the 20 plus years we have lived in this house. I have at least a dozen journals and planners that I love and look through occasionally. I wonder about what will be done with them when I am gone. Will T look through them and think they are all a waste of time? Lizzie told me that I need to specify what I'd like done with them when I'm gone. I'm pondering that thought. In the meantime, the journals and planners give me such joy right now, and isn't that what life is about, finding joy right now?

The last time I wrote here was 18 February. I'm not going back to recount everything that has happened, but I want to share a few photos of last weekend's trip to Dixon. It was probably the best trip there as far as progress and hope that I've had. Plus, we managed to squeeze in some fun, too. The weather was fantastic, also. Some photos:

This ussie was taken at a rest stop on the west side of Donner Pass. We love the tall pine trees there. It smells so fresh and it is a good place to take a little break. The bathrooms are nice too.


We are getting to see all of the seasons in Northern California. In January, these almond trees were bare. In February, the trees are blooming. The scent in the air is sweet. We saw beekeepers delivering hives to the orchards, and when I hopped out of the truck to take a photo, I could hear the pollinators happily buzzing around. 


We had peacocks at the house in Dixon last weekend! I saw three of them. They live next door at Tommie's house, but they apparently roam around. It's the first time I've seen them out our place. Probably they feel free to roam there since there aren't any cats around anymore, maybe.  They are beautiful birds that make a gods-awful noise.



I mentioned that we managed to squeeze some fun into the weekend. These ussies were taken on Saturday night in celebration of the success of our impromptu estate sale. This first pic is taken at The Pip, a gorgeous little wine bar in downtown Dixon. I wish we ventured in there before this visit! It is so cute and cozy. The owner seems like a lovely person, too. MT and I had a couple of glasses of wine, Lizzie had a glass of bubbly, and we shared a delicious appetizer of baked whipped feta. It was so good. I'm looking forward to going back there next month. (You can see I have a wine blush to my cheeks.)


Our favorite place to eat in Dixon is Dawson's. It is also in downtown Dixon, right across the street from The Pip. We go there for dinner every time we are in town. The food is good, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the staff is friendly. The server who photobombed this pic is fun and cheerful. She told us she remembered us from a previous visit and poured each of us a glass of wine on the house. I kind of adore Dixon, especially that night, when I was feeling all the good feelings. (heehee)


I was going to post some art pics that I've done, but I think I'll save that one for Wednesday. There are several  I'd like to show you. Here is a little preview. It's a card I made for the birthday of one of my favorite co-workers.

I like the simple graphic style. It's based on a mid-century modern poster I saw on Pinterest, and I wanted to give it my own spin. I did it with my watercolor markers. I especially like the shadowing on the stem of the glass. I say this all the time, but I cannot believe how much joy and pleasure I get out of drawing and painting. 

...making a note in my planner right now to post art pics on Wednesday!

xoxo


No comments: