Sunday, July 7, 2024

#2907 for love of stickers

This morning I was scrolling through Facebook, and I came across a post from the Salt Lake Tribune about something called StickerCon. I was intrigued. Several years ago, I started using stickers in my journal (I'm pretty sure Susannah Conway got me started.) Since then, I've become slightly sticker-crazy. I see them everywhere, and I want to add them to my collection. I now have lots, and I mean lots of stickers. I put them on my insulated water holders, in my journal, in my planner, and in and on my work notebook. I give them to friends, to my sister, and I even put some in a small bowl on my desk in the office for folks to go through. 

After my docent shift at Red Butte Garden this afternoon, I decided to swing by Copperhive Vintage to check out the sticker fest. It turns out that the store is next door to one of my favorite French bakeries in town, Delice. Sadly, Delice is closed on Sunday, so I couldn't partake of their goodness, but Sticker Con made up for it! The whole thing was kind of amazing! On the sidewalk in front of the store was about five or six tables of local artists selling their stickers. Inside the store, there were more stickers, and out in the parking lot, another dozen or so tents chock-full of artists and stickers! 

The variety was impressive. There was queer-based art, drug art, cute art, funky art, nature art, funny art, art based on lettering, and tattoo artists that had made their art into stickers for reference and booking. I really kind of wanted to buy something from each of them, but I didn't. That certainly doesn't mean I walked away empty handed, though.


I'm glad I went to check it out. It was fun to see other people geeking out on stickers and to talk to some of the artists. 

The upcoming week will be full of music. On Wednesday, I'll volunteer at the Lyle Lovett concert at Red Butte Garden. I've seen Lyle once before at RBG, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the show, so I'm looking forward to hearing him again. This weekend, MT and I will have "Park City weekend." We have an Airbnb for three nights, and tickets to two shows at Deer Valley. I haven't been to a show there before. The venue is bigger than RBG, but it's kind of the same premise: bring your own chair, food, and drink. Kevin and Janet will be joining us. During the day, we will likely take walks. There's a pool at the condo unit where the Airbnb is, so there may be some pool time for me if they want to do a big hike. It is supposed to be hot in the valley over the weekend, so hopefully we will enjoy slightly cooler temperatures up in the mountains. I'm looking forward to all of it!

Have a great week! 


No comments: