Sunday, August 2, 2026

#3062 The Trip: travel journal show and tell

my August wee calendar

Happy August, friends! 

I'm fixing to head back to California for a bit, so rather than jump back into descriptions of The Trip, I thought I'd share photos of a few pages from the travel journal that I am creating. It is a mix of photos I took, stickers, postcards, a little bit of my art, and some thoughts I had about things I saw. It's kind of interesting that I am exactly at the same narration spot both here and in the travel journal. With that said, here are six pages to show you what I've got going on there.



I painted the pages to kind of resemble the stained glass in the Sagrada Familia. I did not draw the beautiful image on the left side; that is a postcard. I'm sure you already gathered that. These pages turned out just about exactly how I wanted them to. Fun fact, I did these pages while we were in Spain. That isn't true for the rest of these examples.


This page is a sticker rendition of how we spent our first day in Rome when we arrived in the city. I painted the lines and circles and added splashes to make the background interesting. I was delighted to have stickers of everything! LOL


This page has some wee sketches from our day at the Colosseum and Roman Forum. 


These three magnificent sketches are from the day in Vatican City. I especially like my rendition of the Swiss Guard. I used colored pencils.


Here are a couple of pages from the Borghese Galleries. The postcards are the big cards and my photos are the little wallet-sized cards. 


These final two pages are kind of a round-up of Rome. I sketched that little thing on the left in my zine while we were having drinks one evening. I found having the zine was easier to carry around and pull out of my bag when we had a break. I would record some micro-memories as we went along, and I've been cutting apart the pages to include in the travel journal as I need or want. 

Creating the travel journal has been lots of fun. I did all the Rome pages while I was watching the World Cup matches when we got back home. There is quite a bit left to do, and I am looking forward to getting back to it when I return from visiting Mama and Lizzie. 

Talk to you soon!
xo