Thursday, September 10, 2026

#3070 The Trip: Comacchio, Italy

 

canal reflection in Comacchio

We reached the port in Ravenna, Italy, the last stop on our cruise. We arrived early and got a nice view of the beach. 

beach in Ravenna

We were able to take our own luggage off the ship, which is unusual in my experience, and we liked that option a lot. Our driver was scheduled to pick us up at 10 AM, so we had to wait for a little while off the ship, but we found a bit of shade and chatted with some nice people from Louisiana until our driver arrived. Oh my goodness! I wish I had taken his photo! His name was Salvatore and he was a dapper gentleman. He was so friendly and kind. If I had a dollar for every time he exclaimed "Mamma mia!" or "Alora," on the two and a half hour drive, I could have afforded drinks at St. Mark's Square - that's a story for another day. 

We had opted for a stop in the town of Comacchio to break up the drive a little. Comacchio is a town on the Po River Delta, well known for eels and flamingos at the lake. I didn't see either of those creatures, but we didn't go to the lake. We just walked around the town. It was a quiet Sunday morning, and it would be a nice respite before the bustle of Venice. Here are some photos of Comacchio:

quiet street

clock tower

another quiet street

Cathedral of San Cassiano

Ponte dei Trepponti

bell tower of the Cathedral

We bought some souvenirs, and I found a little cafe where I could have a caffe and a cornetto, which I have to admit was my favorite part of this stop. There were also some pretty doors in the town:





We were in the town for about an hour. It was a good stop. I don't know if I'd necessarily go back to Comacchio, but I was glad to see it.

Next stop: The Queen of the Adriatic, Venice! 

xo


No comments: